Wren and Cuff
Germanium warmth and charcter at your fingertips
The super son of the one knob beasts, the Phat Phuk guitar, and Phat Phuk bass, the Suppa Phat Phuk is the same well loved buffered dirty germanium boost as before, with two new tweakable knobs.
First is the bias knob, a mega useful add-on allowing on the fly adjustments to the germanium transistor's voltage feed, giving more or less grit to the sound (this adjustment was formerly only able to be tweaked via an internal trim pot).
Another handy add-on is the Phatness knob, which let's you roll between the beefy lows of the Phat B, and the mid-range goodness of the Phat Guitar. Turn the knob even more for a tone beyond either of its predecessors reminiscent of the old germanium treble boosts of yore.
For those who have never experienced either of the original one knob Phats, this pedal delivers a hybrid, modern meets-vintage dirty boost that can be the ultimate for adding grit and gain to a solo or chorus, and/or can be used as an "always on" preamp to bring life and character to an otherwise anemic sounding setup.
So quit the diet and become a proud Suppa Phat Phuk.
If you like details, see the info below…
The Suppa Phat Phuk is a germanium/JFET booster. A unique sounding pedal which adds a beautiful sheen to your guitar or bass’ top end and a bit of grit to the overall tone. It’s a fantastic pedal for situations where you want a lift in your overall level, during a chorus or bridge for example. You’ll also get a bit of bawdy coloration via the germanium transistor. It is not intended to be “transparent”.
The Suppa features a modern JFET buffer at the input which keeps the pedal impedance-friendly when it comes to all guitars and basses. This helps the Phat Phuk to remain consistent without worry of impedance issues caused by vintage style germanium based circuits.
Something else that was considered when creating the Suppa Phat Phuk. Many clean-boosts offer way too much boost in my opinion. In any normal playing situation, including intentionally slamming the front end of a tube amp to induce the amp’s natural overdrive, one really only needs a hefty thump to get the job done. There’s nothing wrong with having a large amount of volume on tap, but a problem that can sometimes occur is a lack of ability to fine tune the amount of boost you want. When the sweep of the knob goes from zero to melt-down with one turn of the knob, it gets tough to really dial in a precise amount of boost. Also a slight bump of the boost knob (with a foot or nervous “live show” jitters) can send things out of control. I know because its happened to me. Went for the big chorus during a song, hit the clean boost (not mine, this was long before Wren and Cuff existed) and tore the heads off the people in the front, pissed off the sound man, and pretty much ruined that song. Therefore, the volume sweep was reduced with the Phatty. You still get a big gob of gain, and probably won’t ever need to run the pedal “at 11?, but the trade -off is worth the extra control. Just an example of what Wren and Cuff prides itself on: pedals that sound superior, look beautiful, can take a beating, and are made with the “real world” player in mind.
In other words: Attention to detail.
- Volume: Adjusts the output level
- Bias: Allows you to adjust the voltage feeding the germanium transistor. Lets you fine-tune a more clean sounding boost, or dial in the dirt for a more gritty overall tone.
- Phatness: This is a high-pass filter allowing you to boost or cut the lows.
- True hard-wire bypass
- 9V battery or 2.1mm adapter
- Made for Bass and Guitar
- Made in the USA
- Lifetime warranty
- (2015-10-08) The by Wren and Cuff
- (2015-10-26) Suppa Phat Phuk, this is what it did to a solid state peavey. Adds softness, rich sounding clipping, and warmth. by Wren and Cuff
- (2015-12-12) Wren and Cuff Suppa Phat Phuk | germanium/FET hybrid boost by JJ Likes Guitar
- (2016-01-06) Wren and Cuff Suppa Phat Phuk Hybrid Boost by JustNickMusic
- (2016-01-06) Wren and Cuff Suppa Phat Phuk Hybrid Boost -- Bass Demo by JustNickMusic
- (2016-01-25) GAS N' GO - Wren and Cuff Suppa Phat Phuk by 60 Cycle Hum
- (2016-02-01) GAS N' GO - Wren & Cuff SUPPA PHAT PHUK -tone shaping a muff by 60 Cycle Hum
- (2016-02-01) GAS N' GO - Wren & Cuff Suppa Phat Phuk pushing a tube amp by 60 Cycle Hum