The Richie Kotzen Signature RK5 Fly Rig is not simply another version of the Fly Rig 5 with his name screened on it. The RK5 was developed in close collaboration with Richie, whose input was invaluable. Meticulous about every facet of his playing, singing, songwriting and tone, Richie’s attention to the details of this pedal was nothing less.
For the bulk of his 2014 tour with the Winery Dogs, Richie used the final prototype while we were busy getting everything lined up for production. Richie is also using the prototype for his current solo tour. You can see and hear him in action by checking his tour schedule here. You can also sign up for his newsletter to be notified of future events.
While Richie primarily uses his RK5 live in conjunction with his standard amp rig, this sleek, compact unit embodies an entire rig on its own. At its heart, is the all-analog SansAmp™, which makes it possible to go direct to a PA or mixer. For effects, you have the essentials: a reverb, a delay with tap tempo, a powerful boost, and Richie’s Signature OMG overdrive.
For fly gigs across the globe, jamming at the local hang, and last minute sessions, you’ll be the first one ready to go. You can stop stressing over what to pack and agonizing over what to leave behind. You can stop dreading cheesy backline loaners and overheating at the mere thought of your touring rig going down. Just pop your RK5 into your guitar case and head for the door.
RK5 Sections and features:
- SansAmp tube amplifier emulator, is pre-voiced for clean tones. It includes 3-band active EQ, Level and Drive to adjust the overall amount of gain and overdrive.
- Reverb, within the SansAmp section, is based upon the Boost RVB pedal. It emulates the rich ambiances of a vintage spring reverb without clattery pings, canyons of doom, or other annoying artifacts.
- OMG overdrive, based upon Richie’s Signature OMG pedal, brings in the organic distortion of single power tube Class A amplifiers, but with a tighter, quicker and snappier response. Includes Level, Tone and Drive controls.
- Boost, within the OMG section, kicks in up to 21dB of pre-amp gain. It can be used independently to boost the SansAmp and/or DLA functions, as well as on its own to boost the gain of your amp.
- DLA is based upon the Boost DLA pedal. It is voiced to give you the sounds of a vintage tape echo and features Level, Time, Repeats, and Drift, which adds a random element to the modulation for authentic textures. A dedicated Tap Tempo switch makes it super simple to just tap in the delay tempo you want during your performance.
- All analog signal path; reverb and delay are mixed in parallel.
- All metal housing.
- Metal footswitches and jacks.
- 1/4-inch high-impedance input.
- 1/4-inch low impedance output.
- Silent-switching, custom footswitch actuators.
- Utilizes included “auto-switching” 12V DC power supply. Self-adjusts to 100V-240V. It can be used anywhere in the world with the proper plug/travel adapter for the host country.
Tech 21 (press release December 1, 2014)
Tech 21 Now Shipping the Richie Kotzen RK5 Signature Fly Rig
For the bulk of his 2014 tour with the Winery Dogs and his recent solo tour, Richie Kotzen has been using the final prototype of his RK5 Signature Fly Rig. Countless sightings and questions have been posted in social media by fans wanting to know about the mysterious red pedal. After an intense, yearlong collaboration, a limited quantity of the Richie Kotzen RK5 Signature Fly Rig is now shipping.
Meticulous about every facet of his playing, singing, songwriting and tone, Richie’s attention to the details of this pedal was equally focused. What distinguishes the RK5 from the Fly Rig 5 is Richie’s Signature OMG overdrive. Tuned specifically to Richie’s ear, the OMG section brings in the organic Class A-style distortion, but with a tighter, snappier response. It is designed to articulate every nuance of Richie’s dizzying playing style. While Richie uses his RK5 in conjunction with his standard amp set-up, this sleek, compact unit embodies an entire rig on its own.
The RK5 offers the same essential assortment of features as the Fly Rig 5.
At its heart, is the all-analog SansAmp™, which makes it possible to go direct to a PA or mixer.
Effects include a reverb voiced to create the rich ambiance of a vintage spring reverb; a delay with tap tempo and adjustable tape drift-style modulation for authentic textures; a powerful boost with up to 21dB of additional pre-amp gain, which operates independently to punch up any of the other functions. The Richie Kotzen RK5 Signature Fly Rig sports a red anodized finish, measures less than 12 inches wide and weighs less than 19 oz. It is perfectly sized to pop into your guitar case or backpack and head for the door.
- (2014-12-17) Tech 21 Richie Kotzen RK5 FlyRig Unboxing by blizzardofed
- (2015-01-10) Tech 21 Richie Kotzen RK5 demo by Nevada Music UK
- (2015-02-24) Richie Kotzen ???????????RK5?OMG??????????????? by allaccesscojp
- (2015-04-08) TECH21 RK5 RICHIE KOTZEN GUITAR EFFECT PART1 by Chatreeo
- (2015-04-08) TECH21 RK5 RICHIE KOTZEN GUITAR EFFECT PART2 by Chatreeo
- (2015-04-18) Tech 21 Richie Kotzen Signature FlyRig RK5 Demo | Six-String Samurai by blizzardofed
- (2015-06-19) Tech 21 NYC: Richie Kotzen RK5 SansAmp - Direct by Burgerman666
- (2015-06-20) Tech 21 NYC: Richie Kotzen RK5 SansAmp - To Amp by Burgerman666
- (2015-06-22) Tech 21 Richie Kotzen RK5 Signature Fly Rig with an Amp by Tech 21
- (2015-06-23) Tech 21 Richie Kotzen RK5 Signature Fly Rig Direct by Tech 21
- (2015-07-03) Todaysgear Tech21 Richie Kotzen Signature Fly Rig RK5 (???? ????) by Today's Gear
- (2015-08-10) Tech 21 Fly Rigs: Signal to Noise Ratio by Tech 21
- (2015-09-08) Tech 21 Richie Kotzen RK5 Signature Fly Rig with Paul Gildea of Icehouse by Tech 21
- (2016-01-06) Tech 21: Richie Kotzen RK5 Fly Rig Blues jam by ilovenoise