There is a good reason why many artists record and perform with several different amps running simultaneously. The best characteristics of each amp blend to create incredible and original tones. The Tech 21 Double Drive captures the lush, muscular power amp distortion of both Class A and Class A/B tube amps. Instead of just blending these tones, it feeds one into the other for massive ‘cascading’ distortion and limitless tonal variation.
Sometimes more is more.
DRIVE A controls the amount of Class A power amp output stage distortion (like Vox AC30®-style amp), rich in even harmonics. The amount of harmonics is dynamically controlled by the input level and their ratio by how hard you pick.
DRIVE A/B controls the amount of Class A/B power amp output stage distortion (like Fender®/Marshall®-style amps), rich in odd harmonics.
The signal path of Drive A runs into the signal path of Drive A/B. This results in an electronic multiplication, rather than addition, of the amount of distortion to achieve a cascading effect.
Other features include:
- LEVEL is capable of extremely high output, up to 10dB (even in clean setting). Useful as a "pre-boost" for additional gain out of your amp without altering any tonal characteristics.
- 1/4" INPUT is 1megOhm high impedance input, same as traditional tube amps.
- 1/4" OUTPUT is 1kOhm low impedance output.
- Can drive long cables without loss of signal integrity, even in bypass.
- LED is highly efficient and low power consuming. It will fade as the battery runs low (±6.5V), although the Double Drive will continue to operate.
- Utilizes standard 9V alkaline battery (not included) or optional power supply: Tech 21 Model #DC2.
- Power Consumption: approx. 5mA.
- Actual size: 3.5"l x 1.5"w x 4.5"h. Weight: 11 oz.