If you think the Red Ripper is just another bass fuzzbox, you don’t know Jack. This all-analog distortion effect features aggressive tones and vintage filter-style effects, all completely under your control for truly custom sounds.
More than a simple distortion box, the Red Ripper responds to the dynamics of your individual touch. Play harder for more fuzz and higher harmonics, ease up for less fuzz and enhanced lower harmonics. The Red Ripper’s nasty little secret is the R.I.P. control, which powers your bass tone from vintage fuzz, to tectonic distortion and into the realms of Brassmaster-style octaver fuzz. Dime the R.I.P. and enjoy the violent stabs of a Moogie-style synth tone. While the Red Ripper can emulate the tones of an envelope filter, the signal is not actually being filtered, so your tone won’t thin out and drop off when the effect is engaged.
Unlike vintage devices, all this gory fun comes with modern benefits. Active three-band EQ delivers studio-grade tone shaping in a compact pedal, while the Level and Drive controls let you find the sweet spot between dirt and volume. There’s a Low Pass Filter switch to compensate for full-range bass systems equipped with tweeters. Buffered bypass and a silent-switching, custom footswitch actuator completes the package.
It’s not what you’d expect from a distortion box, but it is what you’d expect from Tech 21 -- one killer pedal!
- Unique R.I.P. control manipulates the harmonic content and changes the character of distortion in a typically unusual, Tech 21 way.
- MID is tuned to 12dB @ 500 Hz.
- LOW is tuned to +22dB boost or -12dB cut @ 120 Hz.
- HIGH is tuned to +30dB boost or -12dB cut @ 2.5 kHz.
- Highly sensitive and interactive controls provide a broader range of tweakability and maximum flexibility.
- 1megOhm high-impedance 1/4” input.
- 1kOhm low-impedance 1/4” output drives long cables without loss of signal integrity, even in bypass.
- Custom, silent-switching actuator.
- Buffered bypass eliminates the shortcomings associated with “true bypass” (pops and clicks, and high-end loss when multiple pedals are connected together), as well as signal loss associated with other types of switching circuits.
- Heavy duty, all metal construction.
- Operable with 9V alkaline battery (not included) or optional DC power supply (Tech 21 Model #DC2).
- (2010-01-22) NAMM '10 - Tech 21 Demos: Leeds, Oxford, U.S. Steel, Red Ripper & VT Bass by Premier Guitar
- (2010-07-08) Red Ripper by Tech 21 by Tech 21 Character series
- (2011-01-11) Tech 21 Red Ripper Demo by Nigromante by GuitarGearComMx
- (2013-04-09) Tech 21 - Red Ripper - DEMO - THE SKINNY - Guitar Pedal Expo 2013 by SkinnyMusicTV
- (2016-06-02) ???????TECH21 red ripper by IKEBEchannel