The Saturn V is a tone enhancer. At once both a harmonic-laden boost and low-gain overdrive, it eludes categorization. Named after the NASA rocket that propelled the first humans to the moon, the Saturn V is here to rocket your tone into the heavens.
The Saturn V features a simple two knob control layout for Boost and Drive. The Boost control alone can deliver 18db of boost, with a hint of added sparkle. Adjusting the Drive control will add more harmonic distortion, while also increasing the total output level of the pedal. Cranking both controls to max will yield 35db of boost, full of complex harmonic character.
The overall tone of the Saturn V gives a subtle openness to the top end of the frequency spectrum, while not giving up any precious bass frequencies. As great as this pedal sounds with guitar, it works equally well with bass and baritone guitar, as it keeps the bass frequencies present, tight and controlled. In good Spaceman fashion, the harmonic distortion present in the Saturn V is extremely dynamic. Play with a light touch and you’ll get a clean sound, but dig in and the Saturn V will react. It feels like playing a tube amp on the edge of breakup
The drive texture in the Saturn V is comprised of a mix of odd and even harmonics. It is reminiscent of the drive tones heard in the Spaceman Aphelion, although much more subtle. While it excels as a harmonic booster, the Saturn V crosses the line into the realm of light overdrive when the Drive control is maxed. It also works well with other pedals, opening up new possibilities with other boost, fuzz, and overdrive effects.
For this pedal, we dug into our stash of vintage military parts, as well as using the highest quality modern parts available. Metal film resistors are used throughout, along with capacitors from Mallory, F&T, Illinois Capacitor and Panasonic.
Completely hand soldered and handmade in Portland, Oregon, the Saturn V utilizes true-bypass switching via the heaviest duty mechanical footswitch available, while your tone is transferred via quality open-frame jacks. Open one up and you’ll see an unparalleled display of craftsmanship, with an immaculate hand-soldered PCB, detailed military-spec wiring and custom heavy-duty battery connector. On top of the USA cast-aluminum enclosure sits a durable, engraved vinyl faceplate and red jewel indicator light. This pedal is built to last a lifetime.
We will be releasing the Saturn V in multiple batches in order to prevent long wait times. The First Editions are Polished Chrome and Copper plated, with NOS 1959 dimmable indicators. There are 25 Chrome and 50 Copper Available for initial pre-order. The first 30 pedals ordered are expected to be delivered by Christmas Eve. There is a limit of one per person, of each edition. More editions will become available very soon.
- (2013-02-01) FIRST LOOK: Spaceman Saturn V Harmonic Booster by Chicago Music Exchange
- (2013-02-03) Spaceman Effects Saturn V Harmonic Boost Demo by Elevation Boutiques
- (2013-03-08) Pete Cornish P-2 + Spaceman Effects Saturn V + Binson Echorec B2 by simplexiammine
- (2013-03-08) Spaceman Effects Saturn V with Binson Echorec B2 by simplexiammine
- (2013-03-09) Spaceman Effects Saturn V harmonic booster by simplexiammine
- (2013-04-30) Spaceman Effects Saturn V Harmonic Booster by JustNickMusic
- (2013-08-09) Spaceman Saturn V - Harmonic Booster by Curtis Kent Toneworks
- (2015-02-18) Spaceman Saturn V and Spacerocket Effects Pedals Demo by Five Star Guitars by FiveStarGuitars
- (2015-04-30) Spaceman Effects Saturn V Harmonic Booster by PedalOfTheDay