The 805 is a very transparent, classic Overdrive pedal designed using the legendary 808 chip as a starting point but with an expanded gain range and 3-band active EQ that is not commonly found in 808 style overdrive pedals.
The gain range extends from 8dB to 36dB, allowing for a wide range of overdrive options from mild boost to saturated lead gain. The active EQ circuit is designed to allow players full access to be able to fine-tune all elements of the low, mid and high frequency content.
Typical applications for the 805 Overdrive include:
Use for frequency contouring. Set up a frequency response that works well for saturated overdrive sounds.
Use to boost level into single channel or clean amps to push them into overdrive and create essentially two channels.
Use the pedal's own smooth distortion to create a rich, saturated tone even at lower volume levels, with amps that don't have separate gain and master knobs.
Seymour Duncan (press release July 2, 2014)
Seymour Duncan Releases The 805 Overdrive
The Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive pedal is designed using the legendary 808 chip, but with an expanded gain range and an active 3-band EQ that isn't common on overdrives. It's so versatile that you can use it for a smooth, lyrical bluesy overdrive one minute and a modern metal crunch the next. We started with the classic overdrive tones we all know and love but we tightened up the bottom end and added more sparkle in the highs as well as more detailed note articulation. Whether you're after ringing cleans, a subtle boost, fat crunch, or even screaming sustaining solo tones, it's all in there. And unlike other overdrives that become thin when you refine the gain, the 805's 3-band active EQ lets you take back control over the low end while also fine-tuning the mids and highs.
The 805 Overdrive can be used to give your sound a boost with full overtones or to provide harmonically rich heavy gain with warm tube character. It's extensively developed and refined to be the perfect overdrive for pushing the front end of an already distorted amp, giving you plenty of output and tone-shaping capability whether you play hard rock, prog, metal, djent or whatever other heavy styles you'd like to throw at it. Whether you're running it into a clean channel or an utterly angry one, the sound remains natural and responsive. Like the Dirty Deed and Vapor Trail, the 805 is assembled at the Seymour Duncan Factory in Santa Barbara, California and is true-bypass.
- Distortion Circuitry: Glass diode, back-to-back stack.
- Bypass: True bypass
- Gain Control Range: 8dB to 36dB.
- EQ Center Frequencies:
- Bass – 90 Hz +/- 11dB
- Mid – 750 Hz +/- 11dB
- Treble – 2.1 kHz +/- 12dB
- EQ Center Frequencies:
- Minimum gain, 20 to 20kHz – 112dBV
- Minimum gain, 400 to 20kHz – 114dBV
- Maximum gain, 20 to 20kHz – 97.5dBv
- Maximum gain, 400 to 20kHz – 98 dBV
- THD @10mVrms input @ 1 kHz with 12 dB of gain: 0.15%
- Max Output before Saturation: 0.6Vrms
- Input Impedance: 470k Ohms
- Output Impedance: 1k Ohms
- Power: 9V battery or external 9 to 18V Regulated DC Adapter (center negative)
- Current consumption: 4.5mA
- Dimensions: 2.61” X 4.90” X 1.45”
- Weight: -90dBV at output, 400Hz to 20kHz
- (2014-07-11) 805 Overdrive by Seymour Duncan
- (2014-07-12) What was the last pedal added to your collection? Here's a video of our new 805 Overdrive which is a very transparent, classic Overdrive pedal designed using the chip found in the legendary 808 as a starting point but eventually ending with the MC33178, by Seymour Duncan
- (2014-07-24) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2014-07-28) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive Pedal by guitarworld
- (2014-07-29) Seymour Duncan - 805 Overdrive Demo at GAK by GAK
- (2014-09-04) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive Pedal Review - Sweetwater Sound by Sweetwater Sound
- (2014-09-21) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive - Check it out! by PixxyLixxx
- (2014-09-30) If you could get your hands on any Schecter model, which would you choose? Here's a new demo of the 805 Overdrive that shows it used to tighten up some high gain tone from Keith Merrow with his Schecter Guitars KM-6: http://bit.ly/1uwODRk by Seymour Duncan
- (2014-10-07) Who are your favorite online reviewers when it comes to helping you make a decision on new gear? Check out this review of our 805 Overdrive pedal by Pixxy Lixxx. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sHilcOUdEA by Seymour Duncan
- (2014-11-01) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive Review - BestGuitarEffects.com by bestguitarfx
- (2014-11-02) How are you more likely to use an overdrive pedal: on a clean channel, or as a boost on an overdriven one? You can hear both options with our 805 Overdrive pedal on this video by Nick Johnston Music in this video (and check out his killer new album featu by Seymour Duncan
- (2014-11-06) Which players do you feel have the best high-gain rhythm tone? Here's a video of Conquering Dystopia's Keith Merrow demonstrating how he uses the 805 Overdrive to tighten up his high-gain rhythm tone on his Kemper Amps 5150 profile with his Schecter Gui by Seymour Duncan
- (2014-11-09) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive pedal by ilovenoise
- (2014-11-15) Which of these pedals most intrigues you? This video shows the Dirty Deed, Vapor Trail, 805 Overdrive and Pickup Booster being used together. Each is true-bypass, 100% analog and assembled at the Seymour Duncan Factory. More info here: http://bit.ly/1n0 by Seymour Duncan
- (2014-11-25) If you could perform at any venue where would it be? The Rainbow? Royal Albert Hall? Red Rocks? Here's a video Nick Johnston Music did of the 805 Overdrive, he will be performing at the Seymour Duncan NAMM booth, along with Danny Young, Keith Merrow an by Seymour Duncan
- (2014-12-16) If you could improve upon any existing pedal, what would you change? Our 805 Overdrive builds on the traditional sound but with a superior chip, tightened gain, active EQ and more range. You can learn more about it here: http://bit.ly/1rJ9QW3 by Seymour Duncan
- (2015-01-08) Do you get your overdrive from an amp or from a pedal? Our 805 Overdrive was designed to provide a versatile and transparent sound with a tighter bottom end and active EQ. It's also great for blues & rock as well which you can hear on this video: http:// by Seymour Duncan
- (2015-02-05) Who do you think does the best gear demos? Here's a review of the 805 that takes it through most of its settings from Best Guitar Effects. You can read their full review here: http://bit.ly/1uWxd1B by Seymour Duncan
- (2015-03-16) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive by shnobel
- (2015-03-18) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive by guitarworld
- (2015-03-25) Seymour Duncan 805 vs Klon Centaur by shnobel
- (2015-03-25) Seymour Duncan 805 vs Cusack Screamer V2 by shnobel
- (2015-03-31) Are there any guitars and pedals that you feel go especially well together? Here's Gord Olson demoing the Schecter Guitars Keith Merrow KM-7 with Nazgul and Sentient pickups and an 805 Overdrive pedal. Check out Gord's YouTube channel here: http://bit.l by Seymour Duncan
- (2015-05-02) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive Demo - Metal | GEAR GODS by geargods
- (2015-06-01) Which are you more likely to use: an overdrive pedal or a distortion pedal? Check out this demo of our 805 Overdrive by nobody.one! by Seymour Duncan
- (2015-06-12) Conqueror 5 with Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive by PixxyLixxx
- (2015-07-03) When you're using an overdrive pedal, are you more likely to use it as the source of your dirty tone in its own right, or on top of an already overdriven amp? Here's Nick Johnston Music demoing the 805 Overdrive with his Schecter Guitars, video and audio by Seymour Duncan
- (2015-09-04) Which players make your favorite gear demo videos? Here's James Ryan, who in addition to being a great solo artist and sideman, also shreds like a demon in Racer Axe. by Seymour Duncan
- (2015-10-13) Who are your favorite artists to come from Canada? Here's one of ours: our good buddy Nick Johnston Music, seen here melting our minds with his Schecter Guitars Custom Shop and his 805 Overdrive. More info on the 805 and its 3-band active EQ here: http: by Seymour Duncan
- (2015-10-27) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive Demo with Mark Mackay by guitarworld
- (2015-10-28) How often do you buy pedals? A lot of us at Seymour Duncan have been known to go on the odd pedal binge. Here's a Guitar World demo video of our 805 Overdrive pedal by Mark Mackay. More info on the 805 here: http://www.seymourduncan.com/pedal/805-overdr by Seymour Duncan
- (2015-11-12) 805 Overdrive & Vapor Trail: Metal Demo by Seymour Duncan
- (2015-11-18) What are your favorite guitars for metal? Here's a demo by Travis Montgomery featuring our 805 Overdrive and Vapor Trail Analog Delay in a metal context, using an Aristides Instruments. Vapor Trail: http://www.seymourduncan.com/pedal/vapor-trail-anal by Seymour Duncan
- (2015-11-20) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive & Antiquity Humbuckers Demo with Mick Hayes by guitarworld
- (2015-11-24) Which humbucker/pedal combinations have you found to have a little extra magic? Here's Guitar World's demo of our #805Overdrive pedal and #Antiquity #humbucker pickups. by Seymour Duncan
- (2015-12-04) Seymour Duncan 805 vs Analogman King of Tone by shnobel
- (2016-04-06) 83 Ibanez TS9 vs Seymour Duncan 805 by shnobel
- (2016-05-05) Seymour Duncan ??? 805 by BuzzbeeTV
- (2016-05-16) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive by reverbmarket
- (2016-06-24) Seymour Duncan 805 by Jack Fossett
- (2016-09-30) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive - Quickie by EytschPi42
- (2017-01-16) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive - Made In USA by Seymour Duncan
- (2017-03-02) Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2017-03-05) The classic green overdrive gets a three-band makeover. http://proguitarshop.com/seymour-duncan-pedals-805.html by ProGuitarShop Collective