Rothwell Audio Products
The Love Squeeze is a compressor designed simply to sound right with guitars, without any bizarre “pumping” effects and without any noise.
This has been achieved by designing a circuit from scratch instead of adopting the more common approach of using an operational transconductance amplifier (for tech heads, it's usually the CA3080 chip) or simply copying an existing design (like some American boutique makers have done) and gives the Love Squeeze a sound of its own. Low level signals can be raised by as much as 20dB without boosting high level signals, so when used in front of distortion - either in a pedal or an amp - leads lines can be fattened up without chords sending the distortion into mush. When used with a clean sound the Love Squeeze can be set to just take off the ice-pick attack of single coil pickups for a tone a little easier on the ear. Like reverb (when used sensibly), this is a subtle effect which can go almost unnoticed until it is switched off - then you wonder how you could live without it.
Why not optical?
Compressors based on optical circuits can sound very good but the latest EU regulations have outlawed the use of Cadmium Sulphide so light dependent resistors (LDRs) are now banned and so are compressors which use them.
Why not a Ross or Dynacomp clone?
Why make a clone when you can make something better? The Love Squeeze gives a much more natural playing feel than vintage (and modern) units which seem to be fighting against the player all the time instead of controlling dynamics and enhancing tone.
So what's in a Love Squeeze?
The Love Squeeze uses a discrete FET as the heart of a voltage controlled amplifier. The circuitry is elegantly simple but performs beautifully without introducing extraneous noise. More importantly, it enhances the playing experience. This is what compressors should do.
- (2009-09-29) Rothwell The LoveSqueeze - demo en estudio (www.panmusic.net) by PanMusic.net
- (2010-07-08) PGS Compressor Smackdown: Keeley Vs. Rothwell Love Squeeze by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2010-07-08) Who's Who: Keeley Compressor Vs. Rothwell Love Squeeze by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2010-07-08) Rothwell Love Squeeze Compressor by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2010-10-21) Rothwell Love Squeeze Compressor by Rothwell Audio Products
- (2011-05-07) Rothwell Love Squeeze Compressor Pedal Demo by TheToneshack