The Dual Band Metalloid brings parallel path processing and recording studio-mixing quality to our range of distortion pedals. It is in fact two separate distortion sections that are driven by internal splitter circuitry and then mixed back together. The Low and High Band distortion circuits have been carefully optimised to now give much improved individual control of the range of notes used. The range of sounds available is truly immense as varying amounts of Distortion and EQ can be applied to each band and then mixed together. This is a technique we used in the studio with Jimi to get the required tone. Using various pedals in series or equalisation will not accomplish this as processing is applied to the whole frequency range. This is a much more sophisticated processing technique that brings welcome control to live performance situations where two guitar sounds are seamlessly required and pedal stomping is not a musical or performance option. The Low Band sound controlling bass string riffs and the High Band sound set for solo work as you progress up the neck. It is has been designed not just for Hard Rock or Heavy Metal but is equally at home for Finger Pickin Slide Blues, Rebel Country Styles and Resonator guitars all which require different tones for the bass strings and solo riffs.
- High Band Drive - This sets the amount of distortion from almost nil up to virtually unlimited sustain.
- High Band EQ - A combination circuit tailored for the High Band tonal characteristics.
- Low Band Drive - This sets low band distortion to desired level.
- Low Band EQ - Optimised Low band EQ.
- Mix - Blend the Low Band and High Band sounds together and used to hear each section individually. Fully clockwise will select the Low Band and fully anti-clockwise the High Band.
- Output - Set the Output Level from unity gain up to level boost required.
Metalloid Design Features and Technical Description:
The Metalloid is housed in our new style enclosure and shares all the usual features of our Voodoo-Series pedals and is the 1st in the range of our Dual Band Products. I have a History since 1964 for creating and pioneering new sounds and technology and the Metalloid bring recording studio techniques to the pedal board and floor in front of you.
It is best visualised as two distortion units in parallel acting on different parts of the guitar's notes and then mixed or blended back to form one sound. This technique is used normally in Recording Studios to obtain more control and the required tone during the production process. Jimi and I used this technique extensively when recording to have ultimate control of tone.
The usual series connection of pedals only offers limited flexibility and has reached the end of its development. However in the modern age where so much recording is not done in a large isolated room the goal posts have been moved and it now becomes increasingly important to play live and hear the final sound. Hearing a great sound from the amp as you play and react to it is the way forward/p>
This was the motivation behind the Metalloid and real time Dual Band Processing as I know and believe that hearing the right tone will change and influence what you play and any amount of post production will not achieve the same result. So in the future we will be following this path to move forward and bring more Recording Studio Techniques to the modern scenario to open up new avenues of creativity.
- MULTI-MODE OUTPUTS / HARD WIRE BYPASS/ TWO BUFFERED OUTPUTS : The Metalloid has a hard wire output (true bypass) plus two buffered outputs that can drive long cable lengths with no high frequency loss. These buffered outputs are disconnected when the hard wire output is being used. This means that all performance situations are catered for whether you want a true hard wire output or your situation calls for the advantages of buffered outputs.
- RAPID BATTERY CHANGE : No more screws to loose!. Slide the front panel back and there is the battery. It could not be simpler or faster.
- LOW NOISE TRIPLE SHIELDING : A 6 layer PC Card with solid copper Power and Ground Planes provides complete RF and EMI shielding. The onboard PC connections are sandwiched between these. The outside aluminium case completes the total shielding. This additional shielding and very low impedance power and ground planes produces an ultimate low noise performance solution.
- BATTERY LIFE : 50Hrs or more using a premium grade alkaline 9 Volt type.
- EXTERNAL POWER ADAPTER / SUPPLY : An external AC adapter (not supplied) can be used and access is through a standard DC power jack situated next to the jack sockets. It uses the standard negative centre pin connection protocol used by many leading manufacturers. Internal onboard filtering ensures that optimum low noise performance is maintained and diode protection provides peace of mind in case or polarity setting mistakes.
Connection protocol: It uses the standard negative centre pin connection protocol used by many leading manufacturers. Specifications: 9 volt DC. Regulated output is recommended. Current rating: 50mA or more.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN : The position of the jack sockets and DC power jack are all on the same side of the enclosure and face away from you thus enabling the effect to be optimally positioned in pedal board set-ups.
- Size: Width 170 x Depth 112 x Height 57mm. Weight: 644g with battery.