Reuss Musical Instruments
The Reuss RSH-03 is replicating Rowland S. Howard’s basic pedal set-up, combining the sound and circuits of his two 1970s pedals into one compact unit. The pedal offers true vintage sound and response thanks to meticulous research and the use of real, vintage new old stock parts. The pedal is endorsed by the Rowland S. Howard estate who contributed to the development. For each pedal sold, $9 are donated to cancer research
Rowland S. Howard’s signature sound was very much about his Fender Jaguar hitting an MXR distortion+ and going into a cranked Fender Twin Reverb amp with lots of reverb. Occasionally he would kick in his MXR Blue Box, with the distortion pedal still on, for some amazing noise bursts. The two effects blends extremely well, the distortion adding some very interesting overtones to the (otherwise dark sounding) blue box.
For those new to the ‘blue octave down’ effect, it’s a fuzz box which adds an artificial, monophonic, synth-like two-octaves-down tone to your guitar sound. This sound is blended into the fuzz sound using the ‘blend’ control, which goes from pure fuzz to pure monophonic bass synth-tone (on the Reuss pedals, the ‘blend’ control is actually reversed compared to a vintage unit, so that you are dialing in more octave-down content to your sound as you turn it up)
I believe the devil is in the detail, and the key to the great sound of the Reuss RSH pedals (and the ‘Evil Twin’) is the strict use of vintage new old stock semiconductors. The current pedals is made with rare, blue 'CIT' brand 1N276 germanium diodes made in 1978 - along with new old stock Panasonic 2SC1849 transistors. Both are the exact same parts as can be found in vintage 70s MXR pedals.
The Reuss RSH-03 is built using the same printed circuit board as the Reuss ET-01 ‘Evil Twin’ pedal, but with a slightly different component count. The RSH-03 is slightly more vintage correct, featuring old-school carbon film resistors like the original 70s pedals. The RSH-version of the blue octave fuzz circuit is based on the original pre-1977 circuit which is more primitive, noisy and chaotic. Expect glitchy tracking of the octave tone and poor gating.
I am donating $9 for each RSH pedal sold to cancer research at 'Kræftens Bekæmpelse' here in Denmark. In December 2014 this donation accounted to 7.200 Danish kroner = $1.350 (US).
The Reuss RSH and ‘Evil Twin’ pedals are used by these fine artists – and more:
- PJ Harvey
- Laura Jane Grace (Against Me!)
- Mick Harvey
- Warren Ellis
- Jeff Schroeder (Smashing Pumpkins)
- JP Shilo (who conducted the original test driving of the RSH-02 model)
- Harry Howard
- Alexander Hacke (Einstürzende Neubauten)
- Mike Hranica (The Devil Wears Prada)
- Nick Zinner
- Victor Krummenacher (Camper Van Beethoven)
- Jason Victor (The Dream Syndicate)
- Fred Alpi (Sprung Aus Den Wolken etc.)
- Chris Brokaw
- Andy Szetho (Storm The Sky)
- Oliver Hoiness (with Kira Skov)
- Andreas Kildedal Westmark (Get Your Gun)
- Sturdy aluminium enclosure in semi-gloss white finish
- Original Rowland S. Howard ‘crowned heart’ silk screen printing
- Vintage correct circuits and sounds
- Vintage correct components (carbon film resistors, NOS germanium diodes, NOS transistors, tantalum capacitors, 3 x LM741CN ICs)
- Full boutique construction. Wired by hand
- Individual true bypass switching for the two circuits
- Neutrik jacks
- Upgraded ‘pro’ footswitches (good for at least 15000 stomps)
- Made in the European Union (Denmark)
- Comes with an RSH-03 'crowned heart logo' guitar pick
- $9 for each pedal donated to cancer research
- Fast worldwide shipping via DHL from Denmark. Your pedal is only a few days away, no matter where you live. Great rates too!
- (2016-12-11) #3dvisualization of the new, revised #circuitboard for the #Reuss #RSH03 Rowland S. Howard #pedal. It's the same circuit as in the previous three generations of this model, but the wiring will be better laid out, for a cleaner look inside the pedal.
- (2017-04-11) The Reuss RSH-03 Rowland S. Howard pedal have gotten a new look. The graphic design is completely revised, and the new enclosures are finished in a Fender 'Olympic White' colour - like Rowland's Jaguar guitar. The crown of Rowland's 'crowned heart' These
- (2017-04-24) Reuss RSH-03 Rowland S. Howard pedal 'C11 mod' demonstration by Reuss Musical Instruments