Reuss Musical Instruments
Based on the first guitar pedal ever made, The 1962 Gibson Maestro FZ-1 Fuzz-ToneThe Reuss FZ-01 Vintage Three Volt Fuzz is based on the world's first guitar pedal, the 1962 Maestro FZ-1 Fuzz-Tone (not the later FZ-1A or the FZ-1B). It's built with three matched 2N270 germanium transistors and runs on 3V - just like the original old pedal.
It's a quirky sounding fuzz. Very grainy and lo-fi, with a healthy dose of that 'dying battery' quality. The nasal voice is due to the very limited bandwidth of the 2N270 transistors. This is not the fuzz to end all fuzzes, but it has some unique sonic properties, not found in more popular vintage fuzz circuits like the tonebenders or fuzzfaces etc.
The new Reuss FZ-01 Vintage Three Volt Fuzz is completely redesigned compared to my old 'Kleiner Scheisskerl' version of this classic circuit. Only 75 pedals in the first batch, released in April 2017.
I have replaced one of the resistor values of the original circuit with a trimmer pot. This is not a bias adjuster (the ATTACK knob controls the bias in this weird circuit), but it's there to calibrate the circuit to the lesser 'leakage' of the later-production 2N270 transistors (Motorola and other brand), I am using.
The original 1962 design was made to accommodate the very high leakage of the RCA 2N270 transistors used at that time. The trimmer pot in the Reuss gives a much-improved range to the 'ATTACK' control and a more open, less 'strangled', sound quality and a more natural sustain and decay. Makes it a more useful pedal. Still weird, though.
- Original 1962 FZ-1 circuit (which is a quite unusual and weird sounding one)
- Gloss brown finish with 'cream' silk screen printing
- New old stock 2N270 germanium transistors
- Carbon film resistors
- Handmade in the European Union
- Neutrik jacks
- 'Pro' upgrade footswitch (good for at least 15000 stomps)
- True bypass-switching
- Orange LED pilot light (resembling a vintage control lamp)
- Runs on 3V (two 'AAA' batteries included)
- Positive ground - external power supply not possible - pedal may interact unexpectedly with other pedals
- Ships in a 'reuss' box and linen draw-string bag
- RoHS compliant / 'CE'-marked