Dr Freakenstein Bass Distortion (and Igor)
- Monster distortion for bass guitar.
- Harmonic overtones controlled by knob, LFO,
- or unique foot-controlled pressure pad.
- Built-in noise gate.
- Mix knob for blending with clean signal.
- Hi/Lo intensity switch...
This is an extreme tone-mangling distortion, very similar to the circuit in the regular Dr Freakenstein Fuzz DrFF-3 - but with the low end boosted. It also has a 'mix' knob to blend the right amount of distorted sound in the output signal.
This pedal produces an incredibly flexible palette of sounds, specially designed to appeal to bassists. Please see the FAQ page for more information.
OVERTONES AND INTENSITIES
The knifeswitch on the top panel offers two handy overtone frequencies and intensities. If required, the frequencies can be adjusted by a trimpot inside the enclosure, accessible through a baseplate port.
Also inside is a 'bass type' switch; switch this to 'active' or 'passive' according to what kind of instrument you're using.
There's an LFO option to modulate the overtone - with speed adjustable from a slow spacey sweep to a fast intense wobble. Using Igor - Dr Freakenstein's assistant - this speed can be tweaked while you're playing, bring intense dubstep-like throbs to particular notes, or glitchy speed-twitches, or end-of-song speed slow-downs... It's an incredibly exciting new facility!
Or alternatively just use Igor to add wah wah-like expression to your playing!
GATE AND ENVELOPE
As part of how the distortion circuit works, the Dr Freakenstein Bass has an impressive fixed-setting noise gate built in, creating dead silence between notes (which is very strange for a distortion). This is especially noticeable on the 'Hard' envelope setting; there's a synth-like intensity - no decay at all - to a note with a hard shut-down to silence at its end.
Switch to 'Soft' envelope however, and the hard shut-down becomes a gentle volume roll-off, with the distortion volume matching the dynamics of your playing in a more natural way.
(This all applies only to the distorted sound. The clean signal goes through a highly transparent buffer, keeping the 'straight' sound unaffected.)
- Collossal wall-of-fuzz sound - with massive low-end
- Totally silent between notes
- Hard/Soft envelope switching facility
- Steel desk enclosure (130mm x 133mm footprint) unique to Rainger FX, with all sockets out of the way on the top panel
- Controllable by the Igor foot expression pad - virtually indestructible, no 'right way up' - just drop it on the floor and use it.
- Igor tweaks the LFO speed in real time, or the overtone itself
- Adaptable for use with active or passive bass guitars
- Incredible industrial styling
- Hi/Lo frequency/intensity switch for the harmonic overtone
- Can go frighteningly loud
- LFO (with rate control) to modulate the overtone
- One Igor supplied with each unit
- Meter monitors input signal with throbbing backlight (LFO speed)
- Powered by 9v battery or via 'DC in' socket
- Black leatherette paint finish for extra protection
- Hard-wired true bypass footswitching