Pro Co (2004-2005)
For years, guitarists have sought that "magic" sound, that elusively perfect blend of distortion, sustain and cutting power, usually found only at a volume too loud for club and studio work. Distortion boxes, master volume controls, and "hot" pickups all have been touted as the instant solution to this problem, but each in turn has proved to be too hard to control, too expensive to afford, or simply "not the sound."
Enter the Vintage Rat.
Full control of the sound is provided by distortion amount, filter, and volume controls. Tune in just the right amount of overdrive, get the presence you need without the tinny treble, and balance the volume for the perfect extra "kick" for lead breaks. Distortion, sustain, fuzz, or overdrive: the sound remains unmistakably yours--not fake or gimmicky.
Also, the Rat won't change the tone or power of you guitar when it's turned off; our true bypass switch disconnects it completely from the instrument when it is not in use, eliminating the loading effects common among other devices.
Effects boxes are notorious for unreliable operation, but the Rat was engineered to survive the abuse and neglect of life on the road. The rugged steel chassis houses a mil-spec epoxy-glass PC board for extreme shock resistance, vital in a foot-operated unit. The heavy-duty industrial-grade footswitch was chosen for its reliable positive action and long, dependable life.
The controls use the latest innovation of potentiometers, resistive elements of conductive plastic, ensuring a linearity and "feel" far superior to ordinary carbon elements, and also offering a drastically increased life span. Similarly, each of the other components that make up the Rat were carefully selected for performance and reliability. Special "micropower" circuit design and IC selection results in greatly extended battery life. And each unit is thoroughly tested not once but twice to ensure that any potential problems never leave our factory.
So if that "search for sound" seems familiar, you owe it to yourself to check out the Rat. Once you've checked out its amazing variety of distortion and overdrive effects, rugged, reliable construction, and that incredibly "real" sound--we think you'll have found what you've been searching for.
- (2008-09-13) ProCo Rat guitar pedal shootout Vintage vs Rat 2 demo by Gearmanndude
- (2010-08-01) ProCo Rat distortion pedal shootout, current version versus 90's Vintage Reissue guitar effects demo by Gearmanndude
- (2011-03-24) ProCo Vintage RAT Distortion Pedal With William Benton Of Lucky Pineapple by GearWire
- (2013-12-21) Pro Co Rat Vintage Reissue by blondegraemey
- (2015-04-27) Proco Vintage RAT reissue 1991, Feedback Loop mod, Msm workshop by MSM Workshop
- Pro Co Rat
- Absolutely Analog Ratzo
- Alpha Omega Temptation
- ARC Effects Soothsayer (new name)
- ARC Effects Woodcutter (old name)
- Big Ear NYC Woodcutter
- Big Tone Music Brewery Classic Distortion
- Blakemore Effects R.O.U.S. - Rodent Of Unusual Size
- Build Your Own Clone Mighty Mouse
- Chicago Stompworks Mister Vermin
- CMATMODS Black Plague
- DreamTone Molly The Cat
- Freakshow Effects Brown Rabbit
- Freakshow Effects Magic Rabbit
- Freakshow Effects Ultra Rabbit
- General Guitar Gadgets Rat Replica
- Hartman LM308 Op-Amp Distortion
- JAM Pedals Rattler
- JHS Pedals All American Distortion
- Mars Real Sound Untamed Rat
- Mojo Hand FX Socrates
- Montgomery Appliances Longtail
- Mooer Audio MDS1 Black Secret - Distortion (Turbo Rat & Vintage Rat modes)
- Moonphase Moondriver
- PedalWorX 5 O'Clock Charlie
- Reinhardt Willard
- Rock's Shop Tone Wizard Distortion
- SonicBox Distortion
- Stigtronics Rodent
- Stomp Under Foot Skinner Box
- Synthrotek The "Ratatak"
- Valeton Darktale - Vintage Distortion
- VFE Pedals El Raton
- Vick Audio 85 Classic Rat
- Pro Co Rat 2
- Pro Co Turbo Rat