Growly is a low gain overdrive, paired with the Owly booster and order switch for versatility.
On the OD side, the gain isn't an external knob, but an internal trimmer. "Why?" You might ask, since it's once of the most used knobs on a drive pedal.
The reason is simple, the focus is taken away from the gain knob and moved to the way you play. The drive circuit is very dynamic and sensitive to the guitar, pickups, the way you pick and the settings you've dialled in on the pedal. So what are the "bias" and "body" knobs for?
The "Body" is a variable input capacitor which controls how full your guitar tone is. Back it off to make the tone thinner and brighter, but also make the drive a little less. Turn it up and you get a fuller sound, giving more low end and low mids, as well as more gain. This can be used to compensate for different pickups which have different characteristics but also just shape the drive tone to your needs.
The "Bias" knob is a simple idea. Instead of having a switch that lets you switch between two clipping diode pairs, this one lets you dial them in. Turning it to the left dials in a pair of large germanium diodes for a more open and clear saturation. Turn it all the way to the right dials in a pair of small germanium + silicone diodes for a more compressed and driven tone. Set the "bias" in the middle and you have the least driven, but most open tone available.
The "Body" and "Bias" knobs act together to shape the drive quite a lot and depending on the guitar and amp you use, the outcome can vary significantly.
The boost side is the "Owly" booster, unaltered, and can be used on it's own or together with the overdrive side. Use the switch in the middle to set wether you're boosting the signal into the drive, or boost the volume of the driven tone.
The order switch (in the middle) points in the direction of the signal flow. Pointing to the left means that the booster is going into the overdrive. Pointing to the right meanest that the overdrive is going into the booster.
- Two independent MOSFET circuits
- True bypass switching
- Neutrik Jacks
- High quality 22AWG stranded wiring
- Top mounted power jack
- 9V DC negative center only
- Internal 9 to 18V conversion
- Switch between "Booster > OD" or "OD > Booster
- No battery support
- (2013-12-27) So to keep teasing you guys, here's another clip of the upcoming "Growly" pedal but this is only the overdrive side which is a single MOSFET design and not based on anything specific. It will be paired with an Owly booster in a small enclosure and will by Pedal Projects
- (2014-01-15) Soooo.. Is anyone getting excited for the Growly? I know I am and the PCBs should arrive today! Here's another clip of the overdrive side from the prototype. This drive LOVES neck single coils! by Pedal Projects
- (2014-01-24) Here's an example of one of the many tones you can get from the OD side of Growly. This is a Les Paul tuned down a whole step through the clean channel of a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 and I'm using the Marshall as a cabinet. The pickup selection, tuning, the way by Pedal Projects
- (2014-01-25) Alright guys I've posted a full video demo of the Growly and it's love on YouTube.com/geirisk8! You can see me twiddle with the knobs and see how they affect the tone. They aren't explained though. I'm leaving that to a demo coming later.. by Pedal Projects
- (2014-01-26) Growly preview by Pedal Projects
- (2014-02-14) Pedal Projects Growly Overdrive and Boost by Curtis Kent Toneworks
- (2014-05-21) Growly through a dirty JCM800 by Pedal Projects
- (2014-06-04) Growly Overdrive/Boost by Pedal Projects (Iceland) by JustNickMusic
- (2014-06-13) So, you wanna push your amp into tight distortion? The Growly does that easily! I'm playing an Epiphone Les Paul into the Growly which goes to an Orange Rocker 30 with a bit of gain, that's it! by Pedal Projects
- (2014-07-05) I can't get enough of the Growly demos from others! This one is from @uscalaveras which is one of the PP dealers in the US and they're open all weekend. You should go there and try out some pedals and stuff! If you're too far away, check out their websit by Pedal Projects
- (2014-07-12) Just learnt this riff today and I love playing it. This is my Epiphone Les Paul with the active EMG81 bridge pickup. It gives the guitar a totally different flavour than the other guitars I have. It's a debatable tone for sure but this is what the Growly by Pedal Projects
- (2014-07-22) Pedal Projects GROWLY Overdrive demo with Kingbee Strat & Dr Z Antidote by Gearmanndude
- (2014-10-25) ETID riff #8 - name the song! Anyone wanna request a riff for me to record? It'll have to work with this guitar tone. I'm playing my custom made @alpherinstruments guitar through a Growly into an Orange Rocker 30. by Pedal Projects
- (2014-10-26) ETID riff #9 - name the song! This is probably the easiest of the riffs I'm posting but it's just too good! Playing my custom built @alpherinstruments guitar through a Growly into an Orange Rocker 30. by Pedal Projects
- (2014-11-24) I'm doing a limited run of these 10 super sparkly Growly pedals. These are different than the standard ones but I'm only telling the buyers what's different with these. It is significant. Anyone interested? by Pedal Projects
- (2014-11-27) Pedal Projects: Growly MOSFET Overdrive/Boost by Burgerman666
- (2014-12-26) Just a little reminder that I've got lots of Growly in stock and they're approved by Brett Kingman by Pedal Projects
- (2014-12-27) And if you're tired of seeing northern lights, have a listen to Brett Kingman playing a Growly! by Pedal Projects
- (2015-05-13) When you need more dirt, just use Growly www.pedalprojects.com by Pedal Projects
- (2015-05-13) Here's Growly with the amp almost clean. Hear how it gives the guitar a tasty saturation that's very dynamic! www.pedalprojects.com by Pedal Projects
- (2015-05-14) Honestly, the Orange Rocker 30 isn't the best amp out there but man the Growly makes it scream! www.pedalprojects.com by Pedal Projects
- (2015-05-14) Pedal Projects GROWLY V2 overdrive with independent boost demo with RS Tele by Gearmanndude
- (2015-05-17) Rock out with your Growly out! www.pedalprojects.com by Pedal Projects
- (2015-05-19) 1987 Fender Stratocaster Plus -> Growly -> Clean Orange Rocker 30 www.pedalprojects.com - in stock! by Pedal Projects
- (2015-05-19) 1987 Fender Stratocaster Plus -> Growly -> Clean Orange Rocker 30 www.pedalprojects.com - you can easily get this tone for $150 but if you buy it from @guitarpedalshoppe you'll get a free Bufferlo and two cables, while the stock lasts! by Pedal Projects
- (2015-05-19) Here's a demonstration of the "body" knob on Growly. It goes from thin to very thick! Played with a strat through the slightly crunchy dirt channel of an Orange Rocker 30. www.pedalprojects.com by Pedal Projects
- (2015-05-19) Okay last Growly demo for now! Here's an example of the most compression, going to the other end of the "Bias (V1) / Comp (V2)" knob. www.pedalprojects.com by Pedal Projects
- (2015-05-22) Pedal Projects Growly Overdrive/Boost v2 by JustNickMusic
- (2015-09-08) Pedal Projects Growly (demo) by Livingroom Demos
- (2015-09-08) Hey guys! There's a brand new video from our neighbour @livingroomgeardemos in Norway, demonstrating the Growly. The video is up on YouTube, go check it out. It's killer!! by Pedal Projects
- (2015-10-23) Here's a quick clip of the Growly pushing a slightly driven amp to killer distortion. by Pedal Projects
- (2015-10-26) You can use Growly for pretty much any drive tone you need! Do you know the song? by Pedal Projects
- (2016-05-28) Pedal Projects Growly, all the tones! by Pedal Projects
- (2016-05-29) Pedal Projects Growly, more tones! by Pedal Projects