Neunaber XD-1 Experimental Drive
I used to work for a guitar amplifier company, where I designed a modeling amp. I wanted to take what I learned - then and in the twenty years since - and create a new drive circuit. Although inspired by tube amps, this drive would push beyond what is possible with tubes and transistors.
My goal is a drive that:
- Works well at any gain setting
- "Gives" without sounding compressed
- Cleans up gracefully with a guitar's volume knob
- Sounds balanced with smooth, even harmonics
- Has simple, flexible, non-interacting EQ controls
The XD-1 (eXperimental Drive 1) is a proof of concept submitted for your evaluation. We do not plan to produce it as-is; however, if/when we make some version of it, its final form will depend largely on your feedback. Let us know what you think.