The NEW CABCLONE™ - Cabinet Simulator with Built-In Amp Load & Headphone Output
The CABCLONE™ is a passive Cabinet Simulator/Speaker+Mic alternative with a built-in Amp Load. It provides a direct interface of your guitar amp’s Speaker Output to the input of a mixing console, microphone preamp or even direct to your converters (recorder) with or without the need for a speaker cabinet. It’s also a Compensated Headphone Driver that delivers a great sounding, great feeling headphone-friendly version of your amp’s Tone that’s perfect for late night practice sessions or anytime you want to play without others listening.
BUILT IN INTERNAL LOAD
Featuring an internal (resistive type) load that can also be defeated, the CABCLONE can be used to capture a direct signal either with or without a live speaker connected to the amplifier. mesa boogie mini rectifier channel switch The CABCLONE is designed for amps rated at 100-Watts or less and our standard format is for 8 OHMs. Also available are 4 OHM and 16 OHM versions (again for amps of 100-watts or less) that allow proper impedance matching with other MESA–as well as non-MESA–amplifiers. Using this internal load scenario, you can transform any amplifier into a powerful “silent” live, recording or practice tool.
D.I. (OUTPUT) LEVEL CONTROL
The Front Panel features an adjustable D.I. (OUTPUT) LEVEL control that accommodates a wide range of destination input requirements ranging from MIC (-30dB) to INSTRUMENT LEVEL (-10dB) to Pro LINE LEVEL (+4DB) and anywhere in between. mesa boogie mini rectifier channel switch This adjustable pot allows you to fine tune the signal strength for virtually any kind of live or recording environment.
A PHASE FLIP switch is provided to allow swapping of the phase 180 degrees when blending the CABCLONE signal with other sources in recording or live environments.
The Front Panel GROUND/LIFT switch allows you to lift the CABCLONE BALANCED DIRECT OUT circuit XLR PIN 1 (GROUND) from Chassis Ground and in many cases remove annoying ground loops that can occur from “grounded” devices that have their own different ground reference when interfacing to consoles.
OPEN BACK, CLOSED BACK OR VINTAGE CABINET OPTIONS
At the far right of the Front Panel there is a VOICING switch giving you three popular choices for the style of Speaker Cabinet simulated. The upper CLOSED BACK position scoops the midrange and also allows more of the upper harmonic region through, simulating the response of a vintage-era British 4x12 cabinet loaded with 30-watt speakers. mesa boogie mini rectifier channel switch This response is often preferable for heavily saturated rhythm and/or lead work where you want a midrange scoop and a huge sonic spread (width).
The center OPEN BACK position takes the lid off a bit so the upper harmonics can shine through and provide a more open, three-dimensional sound with accentuated top end. This position works well for clean work and overdriven rhythm applications where a brighter, “faster” response is in order. The lower VINTAGE CABINET position is the darkest, most compressed choice and offers the best response for single note soloing, especially when higher gain sounds are in use. This setting will keep lead work fat and round and free of “buzzy” gain artifacts. Within these three selectable Voicing positions you‘ll find the ability to tune the CABCLONE’s response to work well for almost any sound style.
In the CABCLONE’s simple Front Panel controls are the basic–but powerful–tools to control your guitar amp’s sound and get it to the Console direct with the least possible effort, time and “superfluous noise”. Now let’s jump to the Rear Panel and review the interfacing possibilities found there.
Starting from the far left of the Rear Panel we have the INPUT and this ¼” jack is where you will connect the SPEAKER OUTPUT of your amplifier. The Standard 8 Ohm CABCLONE accepts and will work with almost any impedance load. However, for the best Tonal results and to avoid damage to your amplifier’s output transformer from an impedance mismatch, it is always best to match the amplifier’s Output Impedance to a CABCLONE wired for that same impedance. mesa boogie mini rectifier channel switch The three Screened-On Boxes in the center of the Rear Panel indicate the as-built impedance.
Make sure your CABCLONE has the IMPEDANCE BOX checked that you intend to use most of the time and that it matches the SPEAKER OUTPUT IMPEDANCE JACK you favor on your amplifier. A correct match here will ensure the best Tonal results and remove the possibility (with some amplifiers) of shortened Output Tube life and/or damage to your output transformer.
THRU (FOR SIMULTANEOUS LIVE SPEAKER MONITORING)
Next we have the THRU jack and this provides the option of having a live speaker on your amplifier while taking the DIRECT OUT signal to your console and using the CABCLONE Direct circuitry for capturing the sound. When using this configuration you can also decide to mic-up the live speaker cabinet as well, giving you the choice of the CABCLONE BALANCED DIRECT OUT, the Mic–or both–for the ability to blend them (in real time or later) in a mix session. The THRU jack is a switching-type and inserting a ¼” phono plug (use unshielded speaker cable) automatically defeats the internal Load Resistor so that your amplifier is seeing the true impedance load of your chosen speaker cabinet.
BALANCED DIRECT OUT
In the center of the Rear Panel is the 3-Pin male XLR jack BALANCED DIRECT OUT. Here the microphone cable is connected to your mixing console, preamps or even converters and you are ready to press RECORD in the studio or Rock The House in a live venue. And depending on whether you’ve chosen to connect a live speaker cabinet to the THRU jack or not... Silently and with Great Tone! The signal level here is determined by the setting of the Front Panel D.I. LEVEL Rotary Control and as mentioned earlier, can be set to match almost any input destination’s requirement from -30dB Mic Level all the way up to a +4dB Pro Line Level signal.
1/4" BALANCED LINE OUT
A balanced ¼” LINE OUT has been included to provide an alternate of the exact signal available at the XLR BALANCED DIRECT OUT. It can be used simultaneously or independently for various applications ranging from creating a Slave signal for additional power on amps that don’t incorporate that feature, to a direct feed to a Console/Recorder or any application where a Line Level is applicable. This signal is hardwired for the Pro LINE Level +4dB signal strength and is not affected by the setting of the Front Panel D.I. LEVEL Control.
And last but definitely not least, we’ve included one of the best features of all on the CABCLONE... the HEADPHONES Output. This jack allows you to enjoy the sonic shaping and great feel of the CABCLONE’s DIRECT BALANCED OUT through a set of quality headphones for personal entertainment with your favorite amplifier. At last you can play through your amp (big or little) “silently” late at night when the rest of the world is asleep and still have that beautiful Tube Tone and a bouncy feel. Add some Delay and Reverb in your amp’s Loop and you’ll be lost in a world of fat, rich, expressive guitar-bliss for hours.
Whether for “direct” live performance, recording or just personal enjoyment of your favorite tube-amp with headphones, the CABCLONE is a great sounding and feeling tool for any guitarist needing to capture great amp sounds quickly and easily.
- Designed and Handcrafted in Petaluma, California, USA
- Passive Design – No Power Supply Required
- Built-In Internal Amp Load FOR AMPS RATED 100 WATTS OR LESS (auto-activates when no cable is connected to “Thru” Output)
- 1/4" “Input” Jack (receives signal from amp's speaker output)
- 1/4" “Thru” Output Jack (defeats to Internal Load when no cable is connected)
- 3-Position Cabinet Voicing Switch - Open-Back, Closed-Back & Vintage Closed-Back Cabinet Simulations
- Variable -30 to +4db DI Output Level Control with presets for Dynamic Mic Level (-30db), Instrument Level (-10db) & Line Level (+4db)
- Balanced XLR Direct Output (controlled by the Variable DI Output Level Control)
- Independent Balanced, 1/4" +4 Line Level Output Jack
- Compensated Headphone Output Jack (defeats balanced outputs when used)
- Phase Switch – Normal (In) or Reverse (180°)
- Ground Lift Switch
- Removable Tilt-Back Stand (for use over an amp handle)
- 4 Ohm – For amps rated 100 watts or less
- 8 Ohm (standard) – For amps rated 100 watts or less
- 16 Ohm – For amps rated 100 watts or less
WEIGHTS & DIMENSIONS
- Dimensions (W/D/H): 6.7" x 6.40" x 2.30" without tilt-back stand (3.30” with tilt back stand) 170.18mm x 162.56mm x 58.42mm without tilt-back stand (83.82” with tilt back stand)
- Weight: 2.3lbs (1.04Kg) WITH Tilt-Back Stand, 2.2lbs (.998Kg) WITHOUT Tilt-Back Stand.
- (2014-07-09) MESA/Boogie CabClone ? Classic Boogie Gain with Vintage Cab Mode by Mesa Engineering
- (2014-07-09) MESA/Boogie CabClone ? Clean with Open Back Cab Mode by Mesa Engineering
- (2014-07-09) MESA/Boogie CabClone ? Modern High Gain with Closed Back Cab Mode by Mesa Engineering
- (2014-07-09) MESA/Boogie CabClone Official Demo Video by Mesa Engineering
- (2014-07-09) MESA/Boogie CabClone ? Mid Gain with Vintage Cab Mode by Mesa Engineering
- (2014-09-19) Mesa/Boogie / CAB CLONE????????????? by digimartnet
- (2014-10-01) Mesa Boogie Cab Clone - Message from The Captain by RobChappers
- (2014-11-08) Mesa/Boogie Mark V vs Mark V 25 vs CabClone by blizzardofed
- (2014-12-04) Mesa/Boogie CabClone demo by Ola Englund
- (2015-07-08) Tone Sessions: Charlie Hunter & "The Very Thing" ? Walkabout, 1x15 / Lone Star 1x12 & CabClone by Mesa Engineering
- (2015-08-26) Tone Sessions: Charlie Hunter & ?Blind Arthur? ? Walkabout, 1x15 / Lone Star 1x12 & CabClone by Mesa Engineering
- (2015-09-08) MESA/Boogie Artist?John Petrucci CabClone???? by KC Music
- (2015-10-16) Tone Sessions: Charlie Hunter ? Subway D-800 & 1x12 / Lone Star 1x12 & CabClone by Mesa Engineering
- (2015-12-17) Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 - CAB CLONE - in a produced track! by EytschPi42
- (2015-12-17) Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 - Mic and CAB CLONE Compared - in a produced track! by EytschPi42
- (2017-01-25) Mesa Boogie Mark V: 25 - Cab Clone Direct Out Demo by Gearing Up