- controls gain level. Turn it clockwise for more gain.
- controls effected tone. Turn it clockwise for more lows.
- Mid. Boost
- controls effected tone. Turn it clockwise for more mids.
- controls effected tone. Turn it clockwise for more highs.
- controls effected output volume. Turn it clockwise for more volume.
- NR On/Off
- turning on this switch activates the noise reduction and NR threshold volume to cancel unwanted noise when no or little guitar signal comes out.
- NR Threshold
- controls noise reduction threshold level. Turn it clockwise for more noise reduction. With this knob turned clockwise too far, you may loose the pick attack especially when you play low output guitars.
The first offering in the Maxon Real Tube Series is the ROD880 Real Overdrive. Based on the vintage TK999 Tube King, The ROD880 overdrive will add warmth and incredible sustain to any guitar rig. The ROD880 works very much like an additional preamp for your amplifier, and you'll be amazed at how realistic its tube amp tones actually are. When combined with the various Drive settings on your amp the ROD880 becomes a very powerful tone shaping tool.
Powered by a hand-selected 12AX7WXT preamp tube, the ROD880 offers an extremely wide variety of tube tones right out of the box. When used in front of a clean amplifier the ROD880 can be used for subtle crunch all the way to full-bore metal distortion, making it perfect for use with Class A amps when they can't be cranked. When used in front of already overdriven amps the ROD880 really shines, pushing the amp over the top while still retaining note clarity and dynamic responsiveness.
The tones of the ROD880 can be fine tuned via its large, easy-to adjust control panel. Gain and Master Volume controls provide a wide variety of overdrive tones, from clean boost all the way to searing, saturated sag. Bass, Treble, and Mid Boost controls with extended operation ranges offer a limitless array of tonal options, from the classic "808" overdrive tone to beefy, full frequency chunk worthy of the heaviest metal band.
All of the ROD880's tones are kept clear and noise-free via the rear mounted, switchable Noise Reduction circuitry with variable Threshold control and a 1:2 noise reduction ratio. This tiny tone arsenal is powered via a standard 9-volt DC adaptor, allowing easy integration into your pedalboard or rack setup.
When you're ready for the real thing, the ROD880 Real Overdrive delivers.
- Input Impedance
- 500 Ohms
- Output Impedance
- less than 10K Ohms
- Equivalent Input Noise
- less than -100 dB (input shorted, IHF-A weighted)
- Max Output Level
- +10 dB (typical)
- Tone Control Range
- Bass: 100 Hz 0 to 28 dB (typical)
Middle: 1 KHz 0 to 25 dB (typical)
Treble: 3 KHz 0 to 22 dB (typical)
- Noice Reduction Ratio
- 1:2 or more (approximate)
- Selected dual triode tube (typically Sovtek 12AX7WXT)
- Power Consumption
- 175 mA at 10VDC / 165 mA at 9VDC
- 110 (W) x 160 (D) x 72 (H) mm
- 600 Grams