Laney Amplification (NAMM press release)
Except for the amps, a modified Dallas Arbiter Range master pedal, that allowed Iommi to push the front end of the amp into overdrive, was completing the sound on the first Black Sabbath album. So in conjunction with the new LA100BL, Laney has unveiled the new TI-BOOST, which delivers a significant bass cut and mid boost but also a little more gain and EQ options to make it appealing to more players looking to find their own sounds. It has a Drive and a Volume control, along with the ability to dial in the Low and Hi frequencies as well as a mid switch that provides a couple of different Mid frequency options.
TI BOOST DEVELOPMENT
The guitar sound of the first Black Sabbath Album is actually the result of a number of key components, Tony himself notwithstanding, but it is also the sound of the LA100BL plus a Dallas Arbiter Range master pedal that Tony used at the time, allowing him to push the front end of the amp into overdrive giving him his signature distorted tone never before heard.
There is a story relating to Tony and his “Range Master”.
In the days immediately before Sabbath, Tony was playing with a band located in Cumbria and a guitar player in a local band said that he could modify Tony’s Range Master and that it would sound better. So Tony agreed and had his pedal modified.
Tony never knew what the modification was but it sounded really good and gave his LA100BL the gain he was looking for.
The modified Range master was used for recording and touring up until 1979. When, for some reason unknown to everyone apart from Tony’s amp tech at the time – it got thrown away!
Since that day Tony has had a sound in his head, a sound that first inspired him to play some of the most recognizable riffs in music, a sound which he thought he’d never get back!
Until now that is!
When we began to discuss the possibility of building a replica of Tony’s original 1969 LA100BL we realized quite quickly that we’d need something to push the front end of the amp harder. So in conjunction with the design work on the NEW LA100BL, we also started working on a boost pedal for Tony to use in the same way he used his Range master.
The result – the TI-BOOST.
We are very proud of our association with Tony and to have him commission us with his only authorized signature pedal is a real honor.
The pedal functions in the same way as his legendary modified Range master – with a significant bass cut and mid boost, but we’ve included a little more gain and EQ options to make it more appealing to more players looking to find their own sounds.
The TI-BOOST is a simple pedal – it has a Drive and a Volume control, along with the ability to dial in the Low and Hi frequencies as well as a mid switch that gives you a couple of different Mid frequency options.
Sonically the combination of the LA100BL, the LA412 and the TI- BOOST pedal gives you a guitar tone recognized for decades around the world by millions.
- (2017-01-19) Introducing the limited edition Laney LA100BL, LA412 and Tony Iommi TI-BOOST pedal package by MusicRadar.com
- (2017-01-19) Laney LA100BL, LA412 and Tony Iommi TI-BOOST pedal demo by MusicRadar.com
- (2017-01-22) NAMM 2017: Laney Black Country Customs LA100BL & LA412 Half Stack & TI Boost-Pedal by SessionMusicTV
- (2017-08-22) Laney Black Country Customs TI-BOOST Pedal. by Laney Amplification
- (2017-11-18) Laney Black Country Customs TI-Boost Playthrough by DawsonsMusic
- (2017-11-18) Laney Black Country Customs TI-Boost Review by DawsonsMusic
- (2017-12-20) Black Country Customs: Tony Iommi Sig. TI-BOOST Treble Booster by Burgerman666
- (2018-01-30) NAMM 2018: Laney LA30BL, LA212 und Black Country Custom Iommi TI-Booster by SessionMusicTV