Keeley Memphis Sun – NeoVintage EchoVerb and SlapBack DoubleTracker
Pedal Train I Ride, 16 Pedals Long... Ah, the sounds of Rock and Roll...
noun: A rhythmic, swiftly paced succession of alternating clicks and clacks, as the sound produced by the wheels of a train moving over tracks. I hear that train a comin’
Memphis Fun – What The Heck Is That?
The new Keeley Memphis Sun is our second studio themed pedal. Like the Keeley 30ms ADT this pedal gives you a wealth of tones for capturing that classic Rock-and-Roll sound as well as sounds you’ve not heard before. It’s NeoVintage. It’s an Echo and Reverb pedal.
Think of this pedal as three different effects: Echo for Long Delays, Track Doubling and Slapback with Short Delays, and Reverb. Both of the SLAPBACK 600 and SUN MODE effects have a Room Reverb. It’s a one-knob, rock and roll type of room reverb. ROOM is a full featured reverb.
The Room Reverb simulates a small 33' by 18' asbestos tiled room so filled with music the sounds actually get compressed. We add a slight amount of “room compression” to the reverb; it almost lives and breathes. We take into account the frequency response of the mics used then. The RCA 77 is loosely simulated by a group of filters including a HPF = 300 Hz and LPF = 8 kHz. Many artifacts are incorporated in our room reverb. In fact, second and third order harmonics are added to make sure it sounds Just Right.
- The Time Control is the Pre-Delay amount: 0-150ms of pre-delay. This allows for a slapback sound as the first reflections come into focus.
- Regen/Mod is the Tone Control: this is an active filter +/- 10 dB and is centered around 1.1 kHz.
- Reverb Control is the Depth Control for the reverberations
Let’s Do it Twice Mama, It’s Alright! No automatic double tracking was available in the 1950s, but we sneak it in here because it makes a wonderful sound. And, if you lengthen the time it goes right into slapback territory which is at the foundation of Country and Rock and Roll guitar sounds. Our Keeley 30ms is a very unique double tracker that creates two pristine voices in stereo. This is mono only. Your guitar playing Gemini in this case has a very warmed up tone. Adjusting the Time Control lets you easily create anything from Double Tracking to Slapback with up to 180ms of dealy time.
- Time: Delay Time is 0-180ms. For Automatic Track Doubling set this control at the second mark or lower, 0-30ms. For slapback echo 30-180ms sounds great. The knob markers notate 0,30,60, 90, 120, 150, and 180ms
- Regen/Mod: This is the Modulation for the ADT voice created. Set to OFF for no Rate or Depth. As you increase this control both the Rate and Depth of “Tape” modulation are increased.
- Reverb: Old Rock-and-Roll Room Reverb. RnR RR Right? Clickety Clack, RR Track.
Rock and Roll is the Devil’s music, right? Of course we made the delay time 666ms to simulate some unearthly echo machine that never really existed. Filtering in the Slackback Mode is done in stages. First we heavily filter the response at 1 kHz then compress the thing. Remember the concept... pack a bunch of sound in a small room and it compresses. Next we filter it again at 1 kHz! Sounds like Rock and Roll, right? Aaron Tackett is our Rock and Roll Doctor of DSP here at Keeley. Not only is he devilishly good looking, he has a way of making waves look good, adding curves so to speak. He has added 2nd and 3rd order harmonics to this mix that simulate tape response and equipment distortions. Waves folded back on themselves. Your gonna love his curves.
- Time: 30-666ms \m/ \m/
- Regeneration: As Jack White says, “Three.” Up to three repeats. Or sometimes six...
- Reverb: It’s Still Rock-and-Roll Room Reverb to Me
That’s What I Say Rockin’ Robbin!
NeoVintage – Low Fidelity. That’s right. That’s what I say. This doesn’t sounds like some merry band of pixie nymphs playing digital fiddles in your ear. It sounds freaking good...Great in fact. If this pedal had a smell, like playing a new acoustic guitar, it would be too intoxicating to play.
The Keeley Memphis Sun LoFi Reverb Echo ADT...
- (2015-09-25) Keeley Memphis Sun LoFi Reverb Echo ADT by Mike Hermans
- (2015-10-21) Keeley Memphis Sun Part II by Mike Hermans
- (2015-10-29) CATALINBREAD Topanga Reverb vs KEELEY Memphis sun by Nocturne
- (2015-10-31) Keeley Memphis Sun by Jack Fossett
- (2016-10-17) Keeley C4 Compressor - Katana Clean Boost - Memphis Sun by Keeley Electronics
- (2016-12-29) Keeley Electronics - Oxblood Overdrive + Memphis Sun + GC-2 Limiting Amplifier by Keeley Electronics