Gold Star Reverb
The latest in the Keeley Studio-Themed Reverbs.
Crazy Phil Spector and Gold Star Studio interpretations. Take his “Wall of Sound,” some LSD, distortion, sun-drenched vinyl and you have the Gold Star Reverb.
Three Mode Reverb:
- Compressed Reverb
- Distorted Reverb
- Flanged/Sun-Drenched Reverb
The Wall of Sound was a formula used in the production of music for playing on radios and jukeboxes in the ’60s. Parts were doubled and played in unison to create a huge, lush soundscape. We daydreamed what it would be like if Phil, Larry Levine, and the Wrecking Crew had modern tools to make ambient and shoegaze washes of sound. So, we took Spector’s “room compression” and “mixing faders maxed” ideas to the extreme.
The Gold Star Reverb adds compression controls to the reverb so that the trails “duck” or compress when you play heavily, and then the reverb appears after the envelope has fallen in Compressed Reverb mode. The Depth control in this mode is your threshold on a compressor. The Vinyl Control is the compression ratio control. Use this for pumping synth leads in dance music; use it on vocals for a powerful reverb sound that levels them clear and distinct. Use it on blues guitar for unique note definition with the space of reverb between the notes.
The Distorted Reverb mode has a thick, throaty distortion on the trails that is bold, jarring, and terribly powerful. The Vinyl Control is the distortion wrecking ball…. The Depth Control is pre-delay time. Try setting it for a distorted slap-back echo!
Flanged Reverb mode gives you two options: Flanger Reverb and Sun-Drenched Vinyl Reverb, which is a random pitch vibrato added to the huge wall of sound. This mode has super long reverb trails that twist and turn in a Wagnerian cacophony of dense measure. Turn the Vinyl Control to left of center for flanger mode, or turn the control right to hear sun-drenched, warped vibrato.
In the Gold Star Reverb we have incorporated vintage microphone and tape-machine responses like those produced by the RCA 44 and the Ampex 350, respectively. We even threw in a little AM Radio response where appropriate.
For when you want to Let It Be Naked, all you have to do is turn down the Vinyl Control and use the three amazing sounding reverbs, which offer a treasure trove of classic, timeless studio-rich sounds.
- (2015-12-09) Keeley Electronics GOLD STAR reverb demo by Lance Seymour by GearTalkChannel
- (2016-01-01) Keeley Gold Star Reverb by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2016-02-02) Keeley: Gold Star Psychedelic Reverb by Burgerman666
- (2016-06-02) Keeley GOLD STAR Reverb pedal of freak out black hole cavern wizardry & beyond by Gearmanndude
- (2016-08-29) Keeley Phase 24 - Mag Echo - Gold Star by Keeley Electronics
- (2016-12-04) The Gold Star reverb contains three Wall of Sound-esque modes that cam be manipulated far beyond the studio's original parameters. http://proguitarshop.com/keeley-electronics-gold-star-reverb.html by ProGuitarShop Collective
- (2017-01-22) The Gold Star reverb contains three Wall of Sound-esque modes that can be manipulated far beyond the studio's original parameters. http://proguitarshop.com/keeley-electronics-gold-star-reverb.html by ProGuitarShop Collective