When Guyatone first began plans for the mighty micro series, they polled professional musicians in Japan to see what they felt would be the most useful pedal for a working guitarist. The answer was what would become the SSm5 Sonic Shaper!
Based on the original Guyatone EX-2 Exciter model (never sold in the USA), the SSm5 is a harmonic booster pedal that, by emphasizing specific frequencies, can offer the guitarist a broad tonal palette. The key to the SSm5 is the Shape control, which adjusts the harmonic emphasis. Using the SSm5, a guitarist can tune in specific frequencies to stand out in a band mix without raising their volume level. The SSm5 can also be used to emulate an acoustic guitar tone, or simply as a great-sounding clean boost by shutting off the Color control and Setting Shape to the center position.
Subtle yet infinitely useful, the SSm5 Sonic Shaper is a powerful tone tool in a pint-sized package!
- LEVEL: Adjusts output level when effect is engaged. Turn clockwise to increase volume.
- COLOR: Adjusts Tone of effect. Turn clockwise to emphasize high-frequency, turn counter-clockwise to de-emphasize hi-frequency (Hi-Cut).
- SHAPE: Adjusts point and level of harmonic emphasis. From center (12 o'clock) position, turn clockwise or counter-clockwise to emphasize different harmonics and adjust tonal character of input signal.
- COLOR SWITCH: Turns Color (Tone) control on/off.
- INPUT ATTENUATOR: Selects proper input sensitivity against output level from connected instruments. Standard setting is at MAX position. Turn counterclockwise to reduce input signal when sound is distorted due to high input signals. By regulating input sensitivity, a wide variety of tonal characters can be achieved.