Echosex 2° History
The echosex project has its start almost two years ago from a challenge of Tullio Ferro, one of the most reknown and appreciated songwriters, author of Vasco Rossi's most beautiful songs and Binson echorec enthusiast to Guglielmo Cicognani considered one of the best echorec restorer.
The basic idea was to fix the well known issues of the beloved Binson which were bad companions of its lucky users even though its beautiful voice goes far beyond every other unit sold today and these problems become secondary.
The first issue was of the reliability of the unit itself and even if it could be tollerable in a studio situation it becomes really frustrating on a tour basis where it's not possible to lose time to fix technical problems too often.
Also Gilmour once said that he probably was one of the 2 people all over the world being able to fix an Echorec that doesn't work properly.
Among the other "problems" that is better to define as "Limits" , that was one of the causes that make Gilmour dismiss it, was the max delay time of only 310ms ca.
To count instead in its sought after and irreplaceable "features" there is its "voice" and ethereal and mystic halo only was able to create and that are not possible to reproduce with a more modern delay unit.
Also the mechanical wearing of all the mechanical parts that were so important for the result, contributed to the difference from a unit to another, feeding this way myths and legends....
So, we started from here, from the idea of bringing back something capable of "saving" the things the guitar players most search in a Binson unit, leaving behind features that are less important amd still trying to solve the problems and limits said before in order to create an object that could bring back to life all the feelings that only an old Binson could give without paying thousands of euros.
The result obtained after more then one year of work is the Echosex 2°, that is in first call a beautiful object that recalls at the same time the feeling of an old precious and the stability of a modern tool.
It takes us back in that particular era thanks to its illuminated panel all the other references to the originals so familiar to our passion.
The controls respect the “Macaroni” english used in the original description of the Binson and also for the new add control, we chose the same “style” calling it “age of damage” regarding its function to control the simulation of the wrong functioning of the old mechanical system.
The construction quality is tank like and very well engineered, in a small place all the controls find their right place, a preamp tube and also the dip switches that permit the setting of the pedal for different situations (adj. I/O levels, programming the footswitch button..). In facts as was for the Binson, for the Echosex 2° there is the possibility to be used as a tube pre-amplifier ( for voice, bass, or keys) too. An other important option given by the dip switches is the option of having the echo trail fading or being cut when the bypass button is pressed.
In the center of the panel it is well shown the tube, a double triode 12AX7B super selected and balanced personally by Guglielmo Cicognani himself.
The tube is lit in green and surrounded by LED that follows the dynamic of the input signal like the magic eye in the old Binson did.
The control “Volume Echo” is a mix control the will let us increase or decrease the quantity of effect mixed with the dry signal up to the 50% in relation to the guitar signal.
The “Length of swell” controls the feedback namely the quantity of repeats desired starting from 1 and going to infinite and self-oscillation.
This is in fact one of the first characteristics of the Binson, the possibility of looping endlessly the repeats as far as the echo starts to oscillate. The “Length of swell” control, works in close sinergy with the “Bass Treble” pot letting you to bright up or darken the repeats to obtain at the maximum level, that particular psychedelic flavour a la Pink Floyd, dynamically enhancing every played note.
Now, regarding the delay time the Echosex 2° doubles the original Binson capability, going from 60 ms to 660 ms. This parameter is controlled by the “Echo” pot. The modality chosen between the heads combinations of the Echorec is the number 4, the one corresponding to the single and most far head capable of the longest delay (310ms) that we found around the 6 and 7 position on the Echosex 2° control.
The “age of Damage” control represents a features that let you shape the personality of your own echo unit. In fact this control determines the quantity of aging of the mechanical parts that usually changes from a unit to the other, making every single echorec a unique object.
Maybe this parameter has been the most difficult to realize, in fact Guglielmo Cicognani had to physically measure the moving parts of the original units to calculate in the most trusty way how this “aging” had to affect the sound. The effect is something beautiful that goes from a light and lush modulation to a strong pitch shifting.
The repetitions are generated by the trusty PT2399 processor used in the most famous delay units.
To avoid the Cold character of a modern delay, Guglielmo Cicognani has developed an unprecedented way of using this component.
Once the repeat has been generated, is treated just like the dry signal, by our reproduction of “Binson System” composed by tube preamp-heads simulation-filters. This is the very core of this machine and it is what makes the Echosex 2° so faithful to the original.
In conclusion, my personal thoughts is that the Echosex 2° fully reaches the target being an instrument on its own, not only an effect unit.
A tool that takes you on a magic carpet thru aetherial and tridimensional ambients that open up your creativity giving you a way to create unheard textures.
ECHOSEX 2° is the Gurus Amps Reissue of the legendary BINSON ECHOREC the notorious Tape Echo world-wide known and brought to celebrity by artists like Pink Floyd which became its embodiment.
This is not just a re-run.
We decided to make our up-to-date interpretation without affecting its features but fixing, thanks to the modern technologies, some limits of the original machine like:
Transportability. We realized the device in a stompbox format, sized for being comfortably placed in a pedalboard.
Reliability. There’s no mechanical part in need of maintenance.
Performances. The delay time can be set from 60 to 660ms.
Purity. The signal path is fully analog and tube-state.
Connections. Thanks to the dip-switches on side panel, you can set in&out levels from -10db to +4 as in the original Binson Echorec, to better fit high output humbuckers, active guitars, active bass, keyboards, drum, mic preamp and whatever you want to plug into; and programming the bypass button to choose if you want its stops delays or fade out when bypass it.
Personality. Every original Binson was unique, because of the different wearing of the mechanical parts based on their usage. This led to a very specific feature: when the tape loop begun to stretch and wear out, a sort of modulation in the delay time arouse. For Binson-sound lovers, that was a really distinctive and sought after feature so, we replicated and synthetized that peculiarity in ECHOSEX 2° with a single control called “Age Of Damage” according to the nice and genuine Binson naming.
Tone control only affects repeats, in conjunction with the feedback control which sets quantity up to an endless self-oscillating level and works on the brightness of each repeat, just like the original model.
This thing is a real “creativity machine”, a fascinating device that catches you from the very first notes thanks to the warmthof its tone, the authenticity of its character and the creative opportunities it offers acting on the controls.
- (2014-11-11) Echosex2° on BASS with Domenico Loparco part.1 by Gurus Amps
- (2014-11-11) Echosex2° on BASS with Domenico Loparco part.2 by Gurus Amps
- (2014-11-11) Echosex2° on BASS with Domenico Loparco part.3 by Gurus Amps
- (2014-11-11) Echosex2° on BASS with Domenico Loparco part.4 by Gurus Amps
- (2014-11-11) Echosex2° on BASS with Domenico Loparco part.5 by Gurus Amps
- (2014-11-11) Echosex2° on BASS with Domenico Loparco part.6 by Gurus Amps
- (2014-11-11) Echosex2° on BASS with Domenico Loparco part.7 by Gurus Amps
- (2014-11-21) Gurus "Commesso Virtuale" - Echosex 2° by Gurus Amps
- (2015-01-12) Echosex 2 demo Bypass/ON by Gurus Amps
- (2015-01-22) Gurus Echosex 2° with Torsten Borg from Skylight Parade Finland by Gurus Amps
- (2015-02-06) Gurusamps Echosex 2 with Fuzz by Sam Vilo
- (2015-02-08) Gurus Echosex 2 (Binson Echorec 2) by Sam Vilo
- (2015-02-11) ProAnalogPowerDriverEchosex Blues by Sam Vilo
- (2015-02-21) Gurus Echosex 2 Binson Echorec 2 by Gurus Amps
- (2015-02-25) Floyd Machine - Echoes Intro Echosex 2* by Gurus Amps
- (2015-02-25) Echoes by Gurus Amps
- (2015-03-07) Gurus Echosex 2° vs Binson Echorec 2° by Gurus Amps
- (2015-03-24) Gurus Echosex 2 by Rectal Hygienist
- (2015-04-17) Gurus Echosex 2 front of overdriven amp by Sam Vilo
- (2015-06-20) Monday Pedal Shootout #6 - Gurus Echosex 2° vs Mastro Valvola TimeLab vs Costalab EchoLab by MusicOffCommunity
- (2015-08-18) Misty Moments with Gurus SexyDrive and Echosex2 by Sam Vilo
- (2015-09-03) Gurus Amps Echosex 2 review by BjornRiis
- (2015-09-04) Gurus ECHOSEX 2 Limited Edition tube delay echo demo with Knaggs SEVERN & Pro Jr by Gearmanndude
- (2016-02-08) Gurus ECHOSEX 2 & 1959 Double Decker with MJT Strat (Nick Silver pickups) & Pro Jr by Gearmanndude
- (2016-02-16) Gurus Amps: ECHOSEX 2° & 1959 DOUBLEDECKER by Burgerman666
- (2016-02-17) Gurus: Echosex 2° & 1959 Doubledecker. Direct to soundcard demo. by Burgerman666
- (2016-02-17) Gurus: Echosex 2° & 1959 DD. Direct w/WAVES CLA GUITARS plug on guitar track. by Burgerman666
- (2016-03-24) Gurus Amps Echosex 2 by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2016-08-22) Gurus Amps - Echosex 2 by Kayzer
- (2016-10-31) Gurus Soundsample - EchoSex by Gurus Amps
- (2016-11-11) Todaysgear Gurus Doubledecker, Echosex, Sinusoid, Optivalve - Host ??? by Today's Gear
- (2016-11-14) ??? Gurus ??? Echosex 2º by BuzzbeeTV