Octron2 is the limited-production version of the Foxrox Octron pedal. Since it's debut in April of 2005, the original Octron pedal has been hailed as a super-organic sounding, high quality analog Octave pedal. It's the only current-production boutique Octave pedal to offer both one octave Up and one octave Down.
In May of 2005 Frank Marino (Mahogany Rush) became one of the first Octron users, and he offered some great feedback on what he'd love to see in an Octave pedal. I took his suggestions and used them to make improvements in the original Octron, along with the suggestions of others and came up with something cool, new and unique - Octron 2.
What makes Octron2 different from the original Octron?Octron2 is identical to the original Octron, with the addition of the following features:
- Individual foot switch to activate each of the three signals, Octave Up, Direct, and Octave Down.
- Individual LED for each of the three foot switches
- Master true-bypass foot switch w/LED mounted on upper level.
- Effects loop located after the effect, but before the foot switch.
How do you use Octron2?There are a couple of different ways to use Octron2. I have been gigging with the prototype since July of last year, here are my suggestions:
- While bypassed, choose the mix you want. You can activate any combination of the three signals (Oct Up, Direct, Oct Down). When it's time for your solo, hit the bypass switch and you get the mix you wanted. Make sure you have at least one of the signals activated when you take the unit out of Bypass.. if you don't, the unit will mute and you'll be left with no signal!
- Activate the unit via the Bypass switch, and select only the Direct signal and leave it on. This will give you a clean, buffered signal with some available boost. When you want to add Octave Up, Down or both, just step on their associated switches.
- Use Octron2 as a Loop Switcher (see below).
Effects loop explainedThe Send and Return jacks are located after Octron2's output, but before the True Bypass Foot switch. This allows you to patch, for example, a distortion pedal or Envelope filter into Octron2. This way, when you activate Octron2, you will also have the effects that are in Octron2's loop. And when you turn Octron2 off, those effects are removed as well. This makes it easy to get crazy-sounding solos without having to do a tap-dance with effects just to back to your original sound. When you consider that Octron2 allows you to set any combination of the three signals (Oct UP, Direct, Oct Down), just think about the possibilities you have with the Effects loop. You can put your lead pedals in the loop and still use Octron2 to activate them for leads even when you don't want octave sounds. Just select Direct and leave the Oct UP and Oct Down signals off.
- (2010-08-01) FoxRox - Octron 2 by Kayzer
- (2010-11-16) FOXROX Octron2 with Skreddy Mayonaise MKII by elswan64
- (2012-06-04) Welcome to OCTRON (Foxrox Octron and Octron 2) - Demo by Just Nick for Rock n Roll Vintage by JustNickMusic
- (2015-01-07) Foxrox Octron 2, demo by Pete Thorn by Peter Thorn
- (2015-11-06) Hey Oct by Foxrox
- (2017-04-18) Misty Moments with FoxRox Octron2 by Sam Vilo