Feisty Little One
The “Red Tauntaun” is a straight-up, two-knob distortion modelled after the “Red Llama” by Way Huge, which was a clone of the “Tube Sound Fuzz” found in Craig Anderton's 1975 DIY book: Electronic Projects for Musicians, which, in turn, was based on the Electro-Harmonix “Hot Tubes” stompbox. The “Red Llama” has inspired many, many clones over the past few years.
Even though it's a simple circuit, the fact that it has been copied so much over the decades is testament to its amazing distortion characteristics and reliability. Actually designed for line-level signals (synth, keyboard, etc), the Red Tauntaun will break up a guitar signal in much the same way that an overdriven tube amp does even if you are playing through a solid state. It allows for clarity of the notes to cut through the distortion and remains very quiet when nothing is being played. We've also used larger-value capacitors than the Red Llama” to allow the bassier tones from your guitar to pass through the Red Tauntaun.
the Red Tauntaun is simple to use. The “Gain” knob controls the level of distortion. You can get anywhere from a nice overdrive to distortion to thick fuzz. The “Volume” knob controls the overall level of the pedal (obviously) and the toggle switch between the knobs allows you to use even more gain (flip it up to boost the gain).
The Red Tauntaun runs on 9v dc, center negative (boss style) wall adapters (not included). No battery option is available (sorry).
- Craig Anderton's Tube-Sound Fuzz
- Bogdan Helter Skelter - "Polish Love" overdrive
- Vintage Records Polish Love
- Catalinbread Hyper Pak Dirty Channel (inspired by Tube-Sound Fuzz, but using a CD4007)
- Guitarsystems DriveTool Junior
- Langtronics Angel Of Death
- Machine Head Pedals Evelyn - Dual Drive
- Machine Head Pedals Evelyn MkII
- Myrtle Pedals Blessed by Distortion
- Pignose Detonator S.P.
- Tone Factor Mule
- Mojo Hand FX Mule (new brand name)
- True Grit Tchoeb
- Way Huge Red Llama Overdrive
- Way Huge WHE203 Red Llama MkII (Dunlop reissue)
- Ben Adrian Bunny Drive (based on the Red Llama)
- Chicago Stompworks Redd Fox (based on the Red Llama)
- Electronic Orange Tube Flavoured Overdrive (based on the Red Llama)
- Elephant Stomp Boxes Fred Llama (based on the Red Llama)
- Freedom Tube Amplification Llama Roja (based on the Red Llama)
- General Guitar Gadgets Red Llama Replica (based on the Red Llama)
- Lenahan Llama Rojo (based on the Red Llama)
- M3 GuitarWorks Redrum Overdrive (based on the Red Llama)
- North Effects The Llama OD (based on the Red Llama)
- Old Orange Freight Train (based on the Red Llama)
- Penfar FX Rooster Fist (based on the Red Llama)
- Pro Tone Pedals Brahma (based on the Red Llama)
- REDesign Lard Meal (based on the Red Llama)
- RGW Electronics Dirty Dan (based on the Red Llama)
- Vick Audio Llama Overdrive
- Wren and Cuff Red Camel (based on the Red Llama)