The idea of blending amps together has been a studio trick used on countless recordings over the years. Being able to blend the stregths of certain amplifiers and have other amps fill in the weaknesses produces a richer, better balanced sound. Up until now, the only way to repoduce this live was to haul a few amps around with you on the road. After a few gigs of doing that, a lot of players end up compromising tone for the ease of carrying 1 amp around with them. This is where the multidrive shines.
The multidrive allows you to blend Overdrive, Distortion and Fuzz together, creating a full and rich array of tones that would not be available otherwise. Let the sustain of fuzz, the bite of distortion and the clarity and note definition of overdrive all work together! Do what would normally take 3 amps in a 4x3" box.
Features & Specifications:
The Empress Multidrive is three killer drive tones in one box with the ability to blend them to taste. Each drive can be individually high-pass and low-pass filtered giving you infinite possibilities at your finger tips. Don't be fooled, this isn't a box of clones, its three new innovative circuits delivering tube preamp sound in a 4x3 inch box.
- All Analog Signal Path - innovative analog signal path which harnesses the best characteristics of germanium diodes, class-a BJT amplifiers, FET distortion and soft led clipping curves to deliver amp-like tones.
- Ultimate Control - independent control over the amount of fuzz, distortion and overdrive that gets added in parallel to create the final sound. Each can have a high pass or low pass filter engaged.
- Incredible Value - The Empress Multidrive is three pedals in one!
- Classic Fuzz - great fuzz sound which allows for smooth, rich sustain and great note definition.
- Vintage Overdrive - Unique overdrive circuit which has athe smooth germanium break-up and the compressioned characteristics of a tube amp.
- Versatile Distortion - With three modes, the distortion will go from controlled to sizzling, all while retaining a super tight low end. It naturally compresses at high gains like a hi-gain amp.
- Bass - Works great on bass! It's eEasy to blend a distorted top end with a crystal clean low end to get an aggressive vibe with punchy and dynamic lows.
- Comprehensive EQ - Smooth sounding high and low shelving EQ combined with a powerful frequency selectable mid band bell.
- True Bypass - The Empress Mmultidrive employs true bypass, so you can be sure that it's not affecting the signal when disengaged.
- Presets - Use the select switch to toggle between 2 preset combinations
- Small Size - The enclosure measures approximately 4.5" by 3.5" by 1.5", which is delightfully small when considering all the features packed into this unit.
- True Display LEDs - Bright multi-color LEDledss always let you know what the Mmultidrive is doing.
- Beautiful Case - It has a sparkle you can't deny!
Empress Effects press release (Ottawa - Feb 14, 2010)
Aristotle stated “the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.” With that in mind Empress has created a truly innovative drive pedal allowing the guitarist to marry the worlds of fuzz, overdrive and distortion however they like. Finally, in a sea of clones comes an innovative distortion pedal. The foundation of the pedal is three unique circuits which are designed like amps, not pedals.
The Fuzz allows classic tones and high gain sustain. The Overdrive adds a very vintage character and vibe – having the break-up qualities of a small-wattage vintage tube amp. The Distortion rounds out the pedal with a three way character switch, allowing it to go from mild defined settings to the blistering compressed lead settings of a high gain amp. The Empress Multidrive circuitry uses almost every type of gain element available to give each section a unique flavor and tone.
“We ventured into the sea of distortion pedals with great trepidation. We really strived to create something unique that wasn’t just a clone. It was really important to us that this pedal sounded more amp-like than the sterile sound people have come to expect from pedals” says Dan Junkins, VP of Awesomeness at Empress Effects. “I’m proud to of what we achieved; the sound quality and versatility of the Multidrive make it an asset for just about any guitar player.”
“For years I’ve made records recording multiple amps running in parallel. It opens up lots of tonal possibilities. You can take the tight low end from one amp and combine it with the smooth high end character of another amp to get unique tones.” says Jason Fee, Multidrive Designer “The Multidrive puts that same principle into pedal form and allows you to tweak the blends really efficiently”.
Additionally, the pedal has a fully configurable AB switch which allows the player to switch between 2 preset combinations of drives at the press of a stomp. This makes switching between tones live really easy.
- (2011-02-10) Empress Effects Multidrive vs. Half Stacks by Empress Effects
- (2011-02-14) Empress Multidrive by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2011-02-18) Empress Multidrive: Overdrive by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2011-03-01) Empress Effects Multidrive by Empress Effects
- (2011-03-06) Empress - Multidrive by Kayzer
- (2011-03-07) Empress - Multidrive (Distortion -Crunch/Lead-) VS Goosoniqueworx - Seventheaven by Kayzer
- (2011-03-07) Empress - Multidrive (Fuzz Mode) VS Skreddy - Pink Flesh by Kayzer
- (2011-03-07) Empress - Multidrive (Overdrive Mode) VS Fairfield Circuitry - Barbershop by Kayzer
- (2011-03-15) Empress Multidrive On-The-Fly by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2011-04-13) Empress Effects MULTIDRIVE: DISTORTION component only demo. Telecaster to HIWATT SA212. by Burgerman666
- (2011-04-13) Empress Effects MULTIDRIVE: OVERDRIVE component only demo. Telecaster to HIWATT SA212. by Burgerman666
- (2011-04-13) Empress Effects MULTIDRIVE: FUZZ component only demo. Telecaster to HIWATT SA212. by Burgerman666
- (2011-04-14) Empress Multidrive demo by Guitar Noize
- (2011-06-05) Empress Effects Multidrive Distortion Guitar Demo HD by MrExcane
- (2011-06-14) Empress Multidrive guitar pedal by MusicToyz
- (2011-07-12) Strymon - Orbit Flanger and Empress - Multidrive by Kayzer
- (2011-07-31) Empress Effects Multi Drive guitar effects pedal demo by Gearmanndude
- (2011-09-01) Empress Multidrive Demo by MadeByMike
- (2011-09-10) #13 Metal Pedal Shootout - Empress - Multidrive - Guitar Distortion High Gain Fuzz Comparison by Kayzer
- (2012-05-18) Empress Effects Multidrive by JetCityMusic
- (2014-05-29) Empress Multidrive Fuzz/OD/Distortion by JustNickMusic
- (2015-02-27) Empress Multidrive | overdrive, distortion and fuzz in parallel by JJ Likes Guitar
1 review, average score of
|2015-07-06||BearMan79||7/10||Great, flexible OD/dist/fuzz where one/two/three FX can be stacked in parallel. Very powerful EQ section.||For _my_ taste, it colours the sound a bit too much.Maybe the OD section should have some sort of tone control on its own.|