DigiTech press release, May 15, 2012
HARMAN’s DigiTech Introduces the Legendary Whammy™ with Chordal Pitch-Shifting
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – HARMAN’s DigiTech today introduced its next-generation Whammy pedal, building upon one of the most iconic guitar pedals recognized by guitarists around the world. The new Whammy features the classic Whammy sound that guitarists have embraced for over 20 years, and moves to the next level by introducing chordal Whammy pitch-shifting, additional Whammy intervals, and true bypass.
For over two decades the Whammy pedal has been known as the ultimate pitch-shifting pedal in the world, used by everyone from Jimmy Page to Tom Morello and heard on songs like “Seven Nation Army” by the White Stripes and the Black Keys’ recent hit, “Lonely Boy.” The introduction of new possibilities with the Whammy pedal reinforces its legendary status of the pitch-shifting realm.
“The release of the new Whammy is the latest chapter in the pitch-shifting revolution. Bringing together the best of the original Whammy with the latest developments offering both classic and chord shifting modes, we are giving guitarists a reason to rediscover the unrivaled tone that makes this pedal a legend in the first place,” stated Rob Urry, vice president, HARMAN Professional Division and general manager of Signal Processing and Amplifier Business Units.
The Whammy lets guitar and bass players raise and lower their tuning by up to two octaves, to create pitch shifts from subtle to extreme and dramatic musical effects not possible with any other pedal. The Whammy now incorporates new pitch-shifting technologies that enable the player to bend entire chords up or down while keeping all the notes in the chord perfectly in tune. The Whammy also keeps its signature Classic single-note mode that has made the pedal one of the most recognizable in rock and contemporary music, along with nine Harmony 2-note interval settings and two Detune modes.
Offering true bypass means that the signal from the guitar is completely unaffected by the Whammy when it’s switched off, maintaining all the purity of the guitar signal when the player doesn’t want anything altering his or her sound. This can be especially important when using a lot of pedals on a pedalboard. The Whammy won’t alter your sound – until you want it to!
The Whammy also includes 1/4-inch inputs and outputs, a MIDI input that allows control of the pedal from an external MIDI device, and a 9-volt DC power input. The Whammy employs high-quality 24-bit/96kHz analog-to-digital and digital-to analog converters for clean, smooth pitch-bending sound. An on/off switch engages and disengages the Whammy effect, and a “Classic/Chords” switch lets players select either mode. The Whammy is built to withstand the rigors of the road, with a rugged all-metal chassis, pedal and footswitch with a bold “Whammy” logo proudly displayed.
The DigiTech Whammy will be available in May 2012 at $299.95 MSRP.
- Current draw: 265 mA
- 24-bit in Chordal mode and 12-bit in Classic mode.
- (2012-05-29) DigiTech Whammy Demo Video with Jonni Lightfoot by DigiTech
- (2012-06-13) Digitech Whammy Five Demo by Magnetic Effects
- (2012-06-26) Digitech Whammy V by FrugalGuitarist
- (2012-07-15) DIGITECH WHAMMY 5 DEMO by dannyunderwood3d
- (2012-09-13) DigiTech Whammy 5 V's Whammy 4 by The Gig Rig
- (2012-10-24) DIGITECH Whammy V Pedal Demo by TheJRGuitars
- (2013-01-29) Whammy?????5???????????????????????? by digimartnet
- (2013-05-27) Review - Digitech Whammy V by baxshopnl
- (2013-11-17) Digitech Whammy V by shnobel
- (2013-11-19) Digitech Whammy 4 vs 5 by shnobel
- (2013-11-20) Digitech Whammy 5 vs WH-1 by shnobel
- (2014-07-15) Digitech Whammy 5 by FuzzvilleMusicstore
- (2014-10-27) Digitech Whammy V demo, Polyphonic pitch shifting, drop tuning and more by GuitarLessonSarasota
- (2014-10-27) Digitech Whammy V compared to EHX Pitch Fork comparison demo quality audio by GuitarLessonSarasota
- (2015-08-17) Digitech ??? Whammy5 by BuzzbeeTV
- (2016-11-07) Guitar like Synth : Digitech - Whammy 5 by Pedals Fusion
- (2017-06-06) Shredding on the Digitech Whammy with Dan Palmer of Zebrahead | Reverb Tricks by reverbmarket
- (2017-09-11) Experimento con Digitech Whammy - Pepismusic! by Pepis Music