The germanium amplifier is constructed with a single AC128 'tin can' PNP transistor. The AC128 has a rich history in musical effects for its natural and organic-sounding properties. Germanium transistors were used before the introduction of silicon and have become increasingly rare to find in suitable condition with low leakage and suitable gain. As such, each transistor must be hand selected and tested.
The pedal behaves very much like a vacuum tube amplifier. Use it to boost your clean or lead tones, or to push your amp and add body and sustain. This can effectively add an extra channel switch to your amp. The frequency switch adds further functionality:
- Full Cream: Point the knob straight up and leave it there to add vintage body and fatten your tone. Crank it all the way for a full cream boost.
- Bright: A tweed-like boost that creates sparkling clean tones and bright leads. Tighten your high end for lead boosts that are high on the neck where you need extra definition. Use before distortions and fuzzes to create a more nature overdrive sound.
- Mid: Effective at isolating your tone and cutting through a live mix without getting too wooly.
N.B. The frequency switch should be changed while the unit is in bypass mode.
Every unit is individually biased with an internal multiple-turn trimpot. This does not normally need altering once it is set and is not recommended to be changed. Power supply filtering has also been added with a protection diode. The circuit runs with a negative ground so that it can share a common supply with other pedals.
To reduce loss, the knob is an actual gain adjust control and not a 'master' control. As such some crackling noise is normal when you adjust the output level. This is not a pedal for the hi-fi junkie!
The transistor remains running in standby mode while the unit is in bypass. To turn the unit off, disconnect the input jack.
For best performance use only a battery or a high quality regulated power supply designed for audio use.
- Class A, AC128 PNP germanium transistor.
- Frequency selection switch (full, mid, treble. View curves datasheet).
- Fast action 3PDT true bypass foot switch.
- High visibility 10mm status lamp.
- Durable powder coated finish.
- DC input socket.
- Individually biased.
- Extra thick, compact diecast aluminum enclosure.
- Highest quality components and construction.
- Two year warranty + manual.
- (2010-11-14) Dazatronyx: (interview and demo) Class A Germanium Amplifier with Strat to Laney VC50 by Burgerman666
- (2010-11-14) Dazatronyx: Class A Germanium Amplifier with Strat (demo only) by Burgerman666
- (2010-11-14) Dazatronyx: Class A Germanium Amplifier (with Les Paul) by Burgerman666
- (2012-05-22) Germanium Amplifier Boost Effect Pedal by Dazatronyx Demo by Fuzz Box Girl
- (2015-01-27) Dazatronyx Class A Germanium Amplifier #00409 by Dazatronyx
- (2015-08-14) Dazatronyx Germanium Amplifier Pedal by intheblues
- (2016-02-10) #Repost @thefrontroomfuzzlounge with @repostapp. ??? Video using @dazatronyx Germanium amplifier pedal stacked with @raygunfx Meatropolis fuzz, Jazzmaster is in dropped A# then straight into the Matamp,enjoy!!!! by Raygun FX
- (2017-02-05) Dazatronyx Germanium Amp with Duesenberg Starplayer TV Deluxe by cranbournemusic
- (2017-02-17) Dazatronyx Germanium Amplifier + by popintothechemist