"Hybrid Fuzz Tones" What the hell does that mean? The Drag'n'Fly is a hybrid fuzz box as in it uses both a germanium and a silicon transistor within its circuit design. The advantage of this being you have the rich low frequency textures of the germanium transistor and the tight focused high end bite of the silicon. Its also helps to stabilise any temperature fluctuation problems you'd find with an all out germanium fuzz box and gives the overall tone more means to cut through whilst retaining a warm and full bodied flavour. The Flys circuit design at heart is essentially a derivative of the Arbiter Fuzz Face with certain combined elements of the Vox Tone Bender. In a nutshell, its my favourite elements of '68 silicon Fuzz Face and a '66 germanium Vox Tone Bender slightly tweaked for more gain, greater headroom, more tonal scope all rolled up in a compact user and wah-wah friendly package. For a "Yaff" it is a pretty unique sounding fuzz box that has some very interesting sonic capabilities.
As we all know the Fuzz Face and the Vox Tone Bender can sound amazing but both units are not without there drawbacks in one way or another. Firstly, they both sound pretty damn terrible when used with stock "Vox" or "Crybaby" style Wah pedals, when the Wah is placed before the fuzz the impedances don't match so the Wah either does not function correctly or will produce a strange howling sound. The transistors in these vintage units can be mismatched or not biased correctly so the fuzz produced can sound constricted, overly gated and lack overall output volume. Also as both units are now very sort after by collectors it's not uncommon to pay upwards of £500-£600+ for an original Arbiter Fuzz Face so good examples are a little out of reach for most budding musician's. Well you've guessed it here comes the "Drag'n'fly" and its numerous advantages.
- Passive "Filter" control. The Fly can cut through the mix even when running at full bore, it does not suffer from the dullness or any overly woolly tones that a stock Fuzz Face can. It also means it is well suited to either single coil or humbucking pick-ups types of varying output and gain levels.
- Internal input impedance correction, so that the input gain is perfectly set up so it works with all Wah pedal types.
- Negative grounding unlike the originals so it can be used with a standard multi plug power supply.
- Adjustable biasing so that the high quality gain selected transistors are correctly set up and produce a bold, clear dynamic tone with a large amount of sustain.
- Low noise circuitry using high grade metallised polyester film capacitors, BC components Electrolytic capacitors, 1% tolerance metal film resistors, audio grade Alpha potentiometers, Eagle plastics control knobs, Switchcraft jack sockets and a military grade germanium transistor.
- A heavy duty UK made cast aluminium enclosure finished in a highly durable stove enamelled hammer tone paint job.
- "Level" sets the overall output volume.
- "Filter" passive tone control for either treble or bass tones.
- "Attack" controls the amount of fuzz and sustain available.
- (2008-02-05) D*A*M Drag ' n' Fly Fuzz by DonnerBox
- (2008-09-17) Guitar Pedal Demo: D*A*M /Klon/RMC Teese/Fulltone/Way Huge/Gibson Les Paul R9 / Victoria 45410 by mrcali68
- (2008-10-20) Guitar Pedal Demo: D*A*M Drag'n'Fly meets Fox Rox Octron / Victoria 45410 (Bassman clone) / Strat by mrcali68
- (2010-01-04) D*A*M Drag'nFly & Nash strat by elswan64
- (2010-01-04) D*A*M Drag'n Fly & Nash Strat by elswan64
- (2010-10-21) D*A*M Drag'n'Fly by simplexiammine
- (2010-10-26) D*A*M - Fuzz Shootout - Super Bee, Sonic Titan, Meathead, Drag n Fly by Kayzer
- (2010-10-26) D*A*M - Drag´n Fly by Kayzer
- (2010-11-05) D*A*M Drag'n'Fly vs D*A*M Drag'n'Fly by simplexiammine
- (2010-11-10) Gear Demo ? D*A*M Drag'n'Fly by Crxshdxmmy
- (2011-01-13) D*A*M-DRAG'N'FLY-HYBRID FUZZ-DEMO by Guitar Shop Hoochies
- (2011-02-11) DAM DRAG N FLY DF 05 by scott51381
- (2011-02-17) DAM DAM DAM STRYMON!!!! by scott51381
- (2011-02-18) Pigdog fuzz 1.5, DAM Meathead Deluxe, DAM DnF, Boss Dimension C, and El Capistan tape delay by scott51381
- (2011-02-19) Tone Bender tone bender D*A*M Drag N Fly by pinstripedclips
- (2012-03-13) D*A*M Drag ' n' Fly DAM HYBRID FUZZ by showzi666
- (2012-03-14) D*A*M Drag N' Fly & Lovepedal White Dragon on Clean by showzi666
- (2012-03-14) D*A*M Drag N' Fly & Lovepedal White Dragon on Lead by showzi666
- (2012-05-23) D*A*M dragnfly shootout by Jerms
- (2012-05-23) dragnflys at dans.mov by Jerms