Anthony Macari (Colorsound)
As out 50th anniversary draws near, we proudly present the 18v POWER BOOST (TM ) made by Mr Stuart Castledine for Sola Sound .
It’s great to be involved with yet another great British builder and especially Stu who seems to know this circuit better than anyone on the planet.
The pedal itself needs little introduction - monstrous tone – shimmery glassy treble boost – huge bass boost then easing its way through crunchy overdrive into aggressive nastiness – how can anyone not LOVE that !?
We have used to reconditioned original tool for the case (no more pesky creases in the front) , then we went through three different screening processes before settling on this one. Mr E-Warrior cleaned up and reworked Alan Murray’s original artwork (huge thanks as always) and the rest is down to Stu...
Stuart Castledine (Castledine Electronics)
I used my '72 Power Boost as a reference.
The PCB is a copy of the final 18V version with PP3 batteries. (I think the first one was a reverse board, second was the normal way up, but had the 33k in a different position and no terminal for the common battery connection. EW thinks this third version came about with the switch to PP3 batteries, which makes sense).
Pots are sourced from Omeg, custom made. I've gone with a reverse log pot for the Volume. The original ones had a linear pot, but the reverse log gives a better sweep - I think your standard ones have reverse log too?
Transistors are BC184L, as in my original.
- Production ; first run, 50 pieces to test the water, all serial numbered, tested and signed by Stuart Castledine.
- Time : first 20 due within two weeks
- Price : £ 215 + shipping (plus TAX if you're in the EU)
- Colorsound Power Boost
- Colorsound Overdriver (same as Power Boost)
- Absolutely Analog Fist
- Balls Powerful Booster
- Black Arts Toneworks Black Forest
- Buffalo FX 18V Power Booster
- Electronic Orange Banana Boost - Vintage Power-Booster Clone
- GeekMacDaddy Geek Driver
- Gunn Overdriver (old copy from New Zealand)
- Hiwatt Power Boost
- Little Lord Electronics The Hairy Arsehole
- Manlay Sound Pro Boost
- Monsterpiece Fuzz C.O.D.
- Myrtle Pedals Uberdriver
- Paul Trombetta CSO
- Paul Trombetta Kush Overdrive
- Plan-9 Power Driver Si
- Prescription Electronics Rx Overdriver
- Razorback Pedals P.B. Black
- Smitty Pedals SmittyDriver
- Stephen Douglas Design White Knight
- ThroBak Overdrive Boost
- Vick Audio Overdriver
- VintageFX Colordrive
- VintageFX Colordrive-2