the press release
When we originally set out on our quest to make the best Bass overdrive ever, we never imagined that it could also sound so amazing with guitar - but then we got to thinking about some of the classic late ‘60s/early ‘70s ‘Ya-Yas' era tones and thought we should take a stab at them. And heck while we're at it, it would be really cool if it worked for the more modern drop tuned heavy stuff too. Made sense since those tones we due in large part to guitars being played through amps designed for bass, right?
And what about the Bass tones? We wanted a pedal that FINALLY let you control the amount of grind solely based on your finger attack. You know the feeling - full and rich and clean when you brush lightly and some nice wooly edge when you dig in. At the other end of the sonic spectrum we wanted a drive pedal that could deliver bone-crunching grind and still hold together without sounding thin or turning into a sludgy mess no matter how hard you hit it.
So we did a LOT of listening - listening for the dynamics, how the pedal responds to pick or finger attack. The cornerstone of those particular amps is their dynamic sensitivity - the feeling that you plugged directly into the power amp, that there is always more potential on tap. It's a big, lively, responsive tone - you feel completely connected to it and control it all through your hands, nothing gets in the way. So we worked on the input sensitivity until it turned our rather sterile solid-state test subject into a warm and responsive vintage-sounding tube amp.
We also listened for that classic EQ voicing - the ‘right' midrange was crucial and it was absolutely critical that we got it right. So we scoped it out and found it, and it was good. Then we added some really flexible Treble and Bass controls so you can dial in the right amount of feel - if you wanted a more edgy grind or a looser bottom it was super easy to dial it in with a minimum of tweaking. And those were good too.
We had to get the drive character right as well - meaning that it had so be clean but really full sounding when you picked lightly, and blossom into that huge rich grind when you hit it harder. It had to decay in a certain way, no fizzy stuff as the notes or chords die off. It needed to respond in a very dynamic way just like the amps do - no generic smothering of the transients, it needed to breathe.
So after months of listening, testing, listening some more, and fine-tuning these are the results. The SFT was a real labor of love for us - we wanted a killer, super-versatile bass pedal the likes of which nobody has heard before, and for guitar we wanted a faithful recreation of those classic Taylor-era tones with the ability to morph into more modern heavy sounds and we finally feel we've nailed it.
We hope the SFT inspires you to do what you do best - make our music!
Catalinbread about the new 2016 version
The New SFT: This Catalinbread classic has been updated with a brand new feature: the Stones/Stoner switch. This switch offers users wider dynamics: from clean to fuzz-level saturation, and higher output.
With Stones mode, fans of the original will experience increased touch sensitivity and wider gain range: from sparkling clean, to classic, wooly, AMPEG grind. Stoner mode opens the floodgates. Hitting this switch cranks each of the three gain stages, creating raw, ripping leads and unleashes the hounds of Hell.
Launch Date: February 29, 2016
Street Price: $179.99
- (2009-06-25) SFT PROTOTYPE GAINY BASS TRIAL DAY1 by Catalinbread
- (2009-06-25) Catalinbread SFT Prototype High Gain Guitar Day 2 Trial by Catalinbread
- (2009-06-26) Catalinbread SFT Prototype Trial Cleanish Guitar 70s Stones by Catalinbread
- (2009-07-01) Catalinbread SFT Prototype Stonesy Cleanish (high quality audio) by Catalinbread
- (2009-08-25) SFT by Catalinbread: Quadrant #1 Part 1, '70s Stones by Catalinbread
- (2009-08-25) SFT by Catalinbread: Quadrant #1,Part 2, '70s Stones by Catalinbread
- (2009-08-26) SFT by Catalinbread: Volume Knob Rollback & Picking Dynamics by Catalinbread
- (2009-08-27) SFT by Catalinbread: Quadrant #2, Video A, Stoner Volume Worship by Catalinbread
- (2009-08-30) SFT by Catalinbread: Quadrant #2, Video B, Stoner Heavy Riff by Catalinbread
- (2009-08-30) SFT by Catalinbread - Quadrant #3, Motown Bass Tone by Catalinbread
- (2009-09-02) Catalinbread SFT - On Guitar & Bass by ToneFactor.com by Tone Factor
- (2009-09-02) SFT by Catalinbread: Bass Guitar Picking Dynamics by Catalinbread
- (2009-09-10) SFT by Catalinbread: Bass Guitar HEAVY DOOMY by Catalinbread
- (2009-09-12) SFT demo jam by fatback2
- (2009-11-25) Bobby DeVito demo Catalinbread SFT distortion overdrive effects pedal by Bobby DeVito
- (2009-12-12) Catalinbread SFT Pedal Demo by Bobby DeVito by Tone Factor
- (2010-01-02) Catalinbread SFT drive pedal. by Burgerman666
- (2010-02-10) Catalinbread SFT & WIIO, forgive me, i'm no Bobby D! by YouKnowIBill
- (2010-04-01) Catalinbread SFT with Eastwood Bass by GuitarGearComMx
- (2010-09-16) Catalinbread: SFT Overdrive (no talk edit) by Burgerman666
- (2010-12-08) Catalinbread SFT Overdrive by MusicToyz
- (2010-12-09) Catalinbread SFT - Demo by Just Nick for Rock n Roll Vintage by JustNickMusic
- (2010-12-29) Field Effects Manifold Drive vs Catalinbread SFT by Burgerman666
- (2011-01-03) By Request: Catalinbread SFT vs. Formula No.5 by Burgerman666
- (2011-01-17) Catalinbread SFT by Txirula Tube
- (2013-03-07) Catalinbread SFT Ampeg Flip-Top Style Overdrive - b3 Guitars by Chicago Music Exchange
- (2014-04-08) Catalinbread SFT demo by Livingroom Demos
- (2014-06-30) Catalinbread Echorec, 5F6 and SFT by dacod77
- (2016-02-25) Catalinbread SFT: Guitar Demo by Catalinbread
- (2016-03-03) SFT Guitar Controls Dive Down by Catalinbread
- (2016-03-09) Catalinbread SFT Overdrive by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2016-03-10) Catalinbread SFT - Pedal Demo by Jack's Gear Demos
- (2016-04-01) Senon Williams from Dengue Fever visited us a few weeks ago and played with a few of our pedals. We asked him to jam out a bit on our new SFT! by Catalinbread
- (2016-04-10) STOREROOM REVIEWS: CATALINBREAD SFT OVERDRIVE & DISTORTION PEDAL by Absolute Music UK
- (2016-04-28) Catalinbread - SFT V2 by ProGuitarShop Collective
- (2016-06-28) [AMPEG ??? ?????? ??????] Catalinbread ??? SFT by BuzzbeeTV
- (2016-07-02) Max Guitar - Catalinbread SFT 2 by Max Guitar Store
- EffectsDatabase (by LordRiffenstein)