The Fuzzrite was one of the first fuzzboxes on the market, and in 1962, The Ventures wasted no time putting it to work on The 2,000 Pound Bee. Technically, it first showed up in a series of amps, but that didn’t last long. Soon, the Fuzzrite was single and looking to mingle.
Fast forward 53 years later (!!!) to 2015 and Catalinbread is bringing the circuit back. The sound is so important to the annals of rock that there’s no way it can stay under wraps for over half a century.
If you’ve never heard a Fuzzrite, you’re in for a real treat. Assuming you’ve heard the prerequisite listed above, the Fuzzrite has shown up in several other rigs over the years. The Black Keys use a Rosac Nu Wah Fuzz which features the Fuzzrite circuit front and center. “In-A-Gada-Da-Vida” wouldn’t sound nearly as psychedelic without the Fuzzrite.
For the unitiated, the Fuzzrite is a raw, splatty, decidedly “sixties-sounding” fuzz—half surfy, half balls-out rock machine. Original units used germanium transistors, but manufacturing soon switched to silicon devices. “In-A-Gada-Da-Vida” used the germanium version, but every other recorded instance—including The 2,000 Pound Bee—of the Fuzzrite uses the silicon version. For all intents and purposes, the silicon version is now a certified classic.
That classic circuit is now available today—in the only box good enough to carry the name Fuzzrite. All the hairy, woolly tone of the original flows from the new Fuzzrite, and after a few seconds, you’ll wonder how you ever got along without one.
- Faithful recreation of the original classic circuit
- Raw sixties fuzz for both guitar and bass
- True bypass
- Hand-made in Portland, Oregon, USA
- Accepts standard 9v center-negative power
Catalinbread (about the 2016 Silicon version)
Classic gnarly garage fuzz.
From The Ventures’ “2,000 Pound Bee”, and Iron Butterfly’s “In-A-Gada-Da-Vida”, to the Black Keys, the Fuzzrite has a rich history of taking guitar tones to new levels. We’ve brought the classic silicon circuit back, and added a 9v power supply.
The Catalinbread Fuzzrite is a faithful reproduction of the classic circuit of the 60s. It’s splatty, raw, and unapologetic. The Depth control adds brightness and gain, while the Volume knob controls your overall output volume.
Just add acid
- (2015-05-05) Catalinbread Fuzzrite 2015 by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2016-09-21) Let's Talk about Fuzzrite Part 1/2 by Catalinbread
- (2016-09-28) Let's Talk About Fuzzrite Part 2/2 by Catalinbread
- (2016-10-06) NEW Part 1: Catalinbread Moseley Fuzzrite VS Vintage Fuzzrite: Marshall by Catalinbread
- (2016-10-13) NEW Part 2: Catalinbread Moseley Fuzzrite VS Vintage Fuzzrite: Princeton by Catalinbread
- (2016-10-17) Catalinbread Fuzzrite by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2016-10-19) Catalinbread - Fuzzrite by ProGuitarShop Collective
- (2016-11-17) Catalinbread - Fuzzrite by ProGuitarShop Collective
- Mosrite Fuzzrite
- Moseley FUZZley
- Sanner FuzzRite (reissue by original designer)
- Sierra Electronics Nu-Fuzz (1969, same designer, with tone control)
- Rosac Electronics Nu-Fuzz (1970-????, same designer, with tone control)
- Wehr Fuzz (made by Mosrite/Rosac?)
- ZB Custom Fuzz (made by Mosrite? shared building...)
- Ashbass Fuzzbrite
- Balls Effects Buzz Balls (based on Rosac Nu-Fuzz)
- Creepy Fingers Fuzz Fight
- D*A*M FUZZrong
- D67 Audio Fuzzmite
- Del Rey Custom Shop Fuzz King Fuzz Mite - Germanium Transistorized
- DenTone Electronics Fuzzrite
- DTS Effects Fuzz Cracker
- Eclair Effects Firefly Fuzz
- Fredric Effects Foxrite
- General Guitar Gadgets Fuzzrite Replica
- Ghost Effects Lunar Incantation
- Holowon Fuzzrite Clone
- Hudson Electronics UK Bluebird - Germanium Fuzzrite
- Jerms RightFuzz - Silicon Fuzzrite
- Jordan (by Mahoney) FUZZtite
- Keeley Fuzz (enclosure similar to original)
- Latemar AFR11 Late Rite - 60's Acid Fuzz
- Mahoney Acid Tone (plugin)
- Mahoney Acid Tone Pedal
- Mahoney BUZZrite (enclosure similar to original)
- Mahoney Rite Tone (plugin)
- Mojo Hand FX One Ton Bee Fuzz (inspired by the FuzzRite)
- Myrtle Pedals Gravy Dinner
- North Effects The Rite
- Pierce Custom Electronics Ennio
- Pierce Custom Electronics Ennio - Ultimate Trilogy
- Plan-9 Psycho Fuzz Si
- REDesign Micro Mite
- Replica Industries Fuzzrite
- RonSound Fuzz-O-Matic
- Traves Gunk - 60's Fuzz
- Tym Guitars Wosrite BUZZrite
- VintageFX FuzzRiot