Next-generation 5E3 Tweed Deluxe inspired Foundation Overdrive with incredible range â€“ from Grant Green to Crazy Horse!
Turn your amp into a 100-watt tweed Deluxe!
Well no, but thatâ€™s what itâ€™ll feel like when you plug into your new Catalinbread Formula No. 55! Big and powerful, yet refined, the Formula No. 55 melts into your amp, transforming it into a wide-ranging tweed monster capable of everything from smokey, clean Grant Green jazz tones all the way to full-on raging Crazy Horse excursions!
The old amps from the 50s were primitive beasts and the 5E3 Deluxe was no exception. Its preamp section let a lot of low frequencies through but then it would encounter an output section (power tubes, output transformer, and speaker) that couldnâ€™t handle all that low end, often resulting in a flubby response, especially if you turned the Volume up. In fact, if you look at the manual from an old 50s tweed, it advises you to â€œturn down the Volume should you experience any distortionâ€. Of course, a lot of guitarists ignored that advice and cranked it up anyway, much to Leoâ€™s chagrin, and the sound of rock was born. The Formula No. 55 gives you that huge low-end response but was specifically voiced for touch-sensitive dynamics and a fat, but tight and punchy sound. You can play a palm-muted boogie-woogie rhythm pattern, for example, and if you donâ€™t bear down too hard with your picking attack youâ€™ll get a big chunky, woody sound, the kind of sound that youâ€™d think would flub out if you suddenly started strumming harder. But start thrashing away and the response will get tighter instead of flubbing out! You just have to try it for yourself to see!
The Formula No. 55 is a Foundation Overdrive that reproduces, in exacting detail, the preamp section of the classic Fenderâ„¢ tweed 5E3 Deluxe using an all-discrete JFET-based signal path. The Volume and Tone controls replicate, part for part, the circuitry of the 5E3, giving you authentic tweed amp response. The output section is designed to give you lots of punch and volume with a low output impedance to drive your amp perfectly. Set the Hi-Lo button to â€œLoâ€ for the cleaner response of a vintage tweed. â€œHiâ€ is like hot rodding your amp by swapping in higher gain tubes.
Like all Catalinbread pedals, no SMD parts are used for audio circuitry. Only through-hole components selected for tone and response are used such as carbon composition resistors and premium capacitors. We hand-build them and we tone-test each one to ensure you get the best we can offer.
- Volume: From warm fat jazz clean to thick horn-like barking overdrive.
- Tone: Noon for flat. Turn down for warm, smokey tones. Turn it up to boost upper mids and cut through the mix.
- Presence: Adjusts ~ 5khz range. Set to noon to start. Turn it up for more bite! Turn it down to warm things up.
- Master: Sets output level. Lots of boost on tap.
- Hi-Lo Button:
- Hi/Red: Like swapping in hotter tubes, for more gain, overdrive and attitude.
- Low/Green: Low gain mode from clean to overdrive
A NOTE FROM THE DESIGNER
Iâ€™ve been designing pedals at Catalinbread since around the beginning of the Obama administration and, wow, now itâ€™s 2017 and Iâ€™ve certainly learned a lot over my two terms of designing pedal circuits. Just as it is with songwriting or guitar playing, as your skills mature you donâ€™t necessarily get more complicated, but rather, your work becomes more refined, more elegant, more essential. So, when I was informed that some of the parts we were using for our first tweed-inspired design, the Formula No. 5, were no longer available and could I approve some substitutions, instead of doing that I jumped at the opportunity to take what Iâ€™ve learned and apply it to the concept of a tweed-inspired Foundation Overdrive. My mantra as I started from scratch with the circuit design was, â€œI want to be able to go from Grant Green to Neil Youngâ€. I wanted to make it even more accurate to the 5E3 preamp design. I wanted it to have a wider clean-to-overdriven range. I wanted it to have more output. I wanted it to feel even better to play. I wanted it to stack even better with other pedals. I dove into the breadboarding process with all this in mind. After two or so months of intensive development, which means sitting in front of a breadboard with a guitar in hand and playing and tweaking the circuit until it SOUNDED right and it FELT right, I emerged with a simple, elegant circuit that has the widest range of clean-to-dirty yet. At Catalinbread, we do everything in-house, so then our hardware development team set out to do the circuit board layout and all of the other details to transform the circuit into the pedal you see on this page. We care too much about the sound and quality to let anyone else have their hands on the process! The production team hand-calibrates each Fn55 to the spec I laid out so you know youâ€™ll be getting what I intended.
Thanks for considering the Formula No. 55 for your pedalboard. Please check it out and play one for yourself and I hope you will find it as rewarding to play as it was for me to develop.
â€¦ Howard Gee
- (2017-01-21) Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe, Belle Epoch Preamp and Formula 55 at NAMM 2017 by reverbmarket
- (2017-01-23) Only 2 hours left to hear our new Belle Epoch Deluxe, Epoch Pre and Formula No. 55 at @thenammshow by Catalinbread
- (2017-01-27) NAMM 2017 - Catalinbread interview and Belle Epoch Deluxe/Formula No. 55 demo by ThePedalZone
- (2017-01-31) Next-generation 5E3 Tweed Deluxe inspired Foundation Overdrive with incredible range ? from Grant Green to Crazy Horse! New Formula No.55 is now available! Shop Formula No. 55: http://bit.ly/2ipbP3i by Catalinbread
- (2017-02-02) Catalinbread Formula No. 55 Overdrive by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2017-02-02) When Catalinbread comes out with a pedal that they say sounds like a 100-watt Tweed amp, you had best believe it does. http://proguitarshop.com/catalinbread-formula-no-55.html by ProGuitarShop Collective
- (2017-02-10) You can win the Formula 55 from Catalinbread! Here's what to do: 1. Go to http://smarturl.it/freepedal and officially enter. 2. Like AND share this post! 3. The Goonies or Stand By Me? (optional) by ProGuitarShop Collective
- (2017-02-10) Win a Formula No.55! Enter while you watch this. Here's what to do: 1. Go to http://smarturl.it/freepedal and officially enter. 2. You must Like AND share this post! 3. Which mode are you gonna try first? Hi or Lo? ;) by Catalinbread
- (2017-02-15) New Formula No. 55 Introduction Part 1/3 by Catalinbread
- (2017-02-16) You can still win the Formula 55 from Catalinbread! Here's what to do: 1. Go to http://smarturl.it/freepedal and officially enter. 2. Like AND share this post! 3. The Goonies or Stand By Me? (optional) by ProGuitarShop Collective
- (2017-02-16) Tweed Pedal Comparison - Wampler Tweed 57 vs Catalinbread Formula 55 by Panhandle Gear Demos
- (2017-03-03) Formula No. 55 Controls Overview Part 2/3 by Catalinbread
- (2017-03-04) Tone Report's Top Tone Award this week! See why: http://www.magazine.tonereport.com/mag/0597404001488576457/p48 by ProGuitarShop Collective
- (2017-03-10) Formula No.55: Backing Band and Hi Gain Modes Part 3/3 by Catalinbread
- (2017-06-17) When Catalinbread comes out with a pedal that they say sounds like a 100-watt Tweed amp, you had best believe it does. http://proguitarshop.com/catalinbread-formula-no-55.html by ProGuitarShop Collective