Get ready to go back to school with your guide to three decades of amazing delay tones. The History Lesson is majoring in Echo with a minor in Modulation.
- TIME - adjust the delay time from 10ms to 950ms.
- REPEAT - controls the feedback of the delay.
- MOD - Adds a luscious modulation to the delay. At 12 o’clock there is no modulation. Clockwise adds a slow chorus and counter-clockwise adds a fast vibrato.
- MIX - Controls the blend between fully dry (clean) and fully wet (repeat only) echo sound. 12 o’clock is an equal mix of clean and echo.
*Hint: The Mod knob works even when the delay time turned all the way down, allowing the History Lesson to function as an chorus or vibrato pedal. The chorus takes on the "flavor" of the delay machine, so you can get tape / analog / digital chorus.
- 1963 - Magnetic tape echo, warm and rich. The 1963 mode captures the frequency response of the tape heads and preamp of a vintage tape delay. The Mod knob controls the "wow" or "flutter" of the tape. Each delay repeat loses both treble and bass, for a warm and compressed sound.
- 1977 - Analog delay, murky and wet. The 1977 mode is based on a classic solid-state analog echo. This mode is capable of infinite repeats for the classic analog delay "spaceship" tone. The Mod knob adds analog chorus or vibrato.
- 1984 - Digital delay, bright and present. The 1984 mode captures the sheen and clarity of the early digital delays. Each repeat sounds just like what you put in, with the classic digital "clang" you will either love or hate. The Mod knob adds wide-ranging pitch modulation, be careful!
The History Lesson features a buffered bypass with optional "trails." In Trails mode the delay will continue to repeat when the pedal is bypassed. To switch between standard bypass and trails, hold the bypass switch while powering on. The LED will blink once for standard bypass or five times for trails. The pedal remembers the last setting.
Tap Tempo and Tap Divisions:
The History Lesson features tap tempo with selectable subdivisions. Tap the Tap / Div footswitch twice to set the delay time. Hold the Tap / Div footswitch to select Quarter Note (red LED,) Dotted Eighth (Orange LED,) or Eighth Note (Green LED.) If the delay time is changed using the Time knob, the subdivisions remain active, so in order to get the maximum delay time the divisions must be set to Quarter Note.
External Tap Tempo:
History Lessons with serial numbers greater than 5025 are equipped from the factory with a red external tap tempo input jack. If you have purchased an earlier version, Alexander Pedals will be pleased to update your unit to the latest specs at no charge. Email us and we'll take care of you right away.
The History Lesson requires a 9V DC power supply with a 2.1mm pin, center negative. The History Lesson is not designed to be powered on supplies higher than 9V and does not use a battery. The History Lesson should work fine on a multi-pedal "daisy chain" connector, but if you encounter excessive noise or hum try a separate power supply. The History Lesson requires approx. 60mA.
- (2015-08-19) Here are some lovely sounds to tide you over. #historylesson demo coming soon @chicagomusicexchange by Alexander Pedals
- (2015-09-09) Alexander Pedals History Lesson Delay by popintothechemist
- (2015-10-02) Alexander History Lesson by Analog Endeavors
- (2015-10-03) Alexander Pedals History Lesson Delay by JustNickMusic
- (2015-11-05) Alexander Pedals History Lesson Tap Tempo Delay (CME Exclusive) | Guitar Pedal Demo by Chicago Music Exchange
- (2015-11-06) @chicagomusicexchange just shared this great video of the #historylesson delay. Lots of cool tones, I totally fell in love with that @fanoguitars JM6... The video is live on our website as well as on CME's YouTube channel. Also note the red jack on the le by Alexander Pedals
- (2015-11-21) Sweet tones here courtesy of @i_point_and_click. Thanks for sharing! ??? #swollenpickle #pichfork #AlexanderPedals #historylesson #lespaul #pedals4lyfe #pedaltrain #greatshot #music #ambientrock #ambient #postrock #someonepayme @ambientnotes @postrockdis by Alexander Pedals
- (2015-12-13) Alexander Pedals History Lesson Delay by PedalOfTheDay
- (2016-11-02) Alexander Pedals History Lesson Vol. II by ProGuitarShopDemos
- (2016-11-02) It's that time again, school is back in session. #historylessonvol2 #decadesofdelay #greattonesdoinggood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udZvDIxsy9M by Alexander Pedals